Blog TrueNAS 12.0-U5 Released, FreeNAS Transitions to “Legacy” Status

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
The migration of FreeNAS to TrueNAS started in October 2020. The transition has been deliberately slow and methodical, while the efficiency gains have been every bit the windfall we anticipated. Over this period, many exabytes of data were carefully managed while the ZFS file system and NAS software were updated with new technologies, features, and performance.

It’s now time to thank the FreeNAS shark for its service. FreeNAS 11.3-U5 played its part by being a very stable and reliable release. TrueNAS 12.0 is now much faster, more secure, and more reliable than any previous FreeNAS release.

TrueNAS 12.0-U5 was released today and is now the recommended update for even the most conservative users of both TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise. Wait a couple of weeks for community feedback and then update. It will ship by default on all new TrueNAS systems.

In October of last year, the first release of TrueNAS 12.0 marked the official merger of FreeNAS and TrueNAS into a unified software image, accompanied by a long list of features and performance improvements. Since then, over 70% of the FreeNAS 11.3 installed base have already migrated to TrueNAS CORE. TrueNAS 12.0 passed one exabyte (EB) of data under management over two months ago; this number is now about 1.5 EB.

TrueNAS_FreeNAS_Shrinking_GIF_July_2021.gif

FreeNAS Transition to “Legacy” status as TrueNAS 12.0-U5 isReleased

In the near future, the FreeNAS.org website will be redirected to the newer-styled TrueNAS.com website. There will be very little change for most users, but Google searches will be redirected to current TrueNAS software and not the legacy software information. (We will maintain a page on truenas.com for legacy FreeNAS software downloads).

While releasing TrueNAS 12.0, we created a new lifecycle model for TrueNAS CORE and Enterprise releases. The history of TrueNAS 12.0 releases has been:

TrueNAS 12.0 RELEASE was made available October 20, 2020, and included many new features along with OpenZFS 2.0 support.

TrueNAS 12.0-U1 was released in December, resolved the most significant bugs, and enabled features like Fusion pools, efficient scrubbing/resilvering.

TrueNAS 12.0-U2 was released in February, and included bug fixes and minor features.

TrueNAS 12.0-U3 was released April 13, 2021, and included bug fixes and some minor features. This release was recommended for mission-critical users.

TrueNAS 12.0-U4 was released June 1, 2021, and included bug fixes and robustness improvements.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-03-at-9.18.37-PM.png
TrueNAS users have been reporting that updates have been smooth.

TrueNAS 12.0-U5 was released on August 3, 2021.

Issues resolved include:
  • About twenty improvements and eighty bug fixes.
  • Python upgrades to address potential memory leaks and eliminate rare middleware crashes.
  • OpenZFS update to 2.0.5.
  • Several security updates to key components that are not available in 11.3.
  • TrueNAS R-Series and Mini Enclosure management has been improved.
  • Several WebUI improvements – including resolving a dashboard CPU% bug.
  • NVMe drives automatic resizing support.
  • M-Series HA improvements.

Please check out the updated TrueNAS documentation even if you don’t upgrade today. We’re extremely grateful for all the contributions received thus far and encourage more user suggestions going forward.

FreeNAS to TrueNAS 12.0 Upgrades are Easy

TrueNAS 12.0-U5 is compatible with all of the iXsystems platforms from the FreeNAS/TrueNAS Minis, to the power-efficient X-Series, all the way up to the flagship High Availability (HA) M-Series. There is also a new R-Series product line that can run CORE, Enterprise, and SCALE editions of TrueNAS. All of these can be updated via the web UI and include graphical enclosure management.
pasted-image-0.png
R-Series enclosure management showing a drive and its associated vdev

For those with FreeNAS installed on your system, we recommend upgrading to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 first and then upgrading to TrueNAS 12.0-U5 with a single click to retain roll-back options. While it is an easy web update, we do recommend waiting to update your system’s zpool feature flags until you are finished validating your performance and functionality.

For those with TrueNAS HA systems and support contracts, we recommend contacting iXsystems support to schedule an upgrade. We will verify your systems’ health, configuration, and support the upgrade process as part of the “white glove” service that comes with any support contract.

For new users, download TrueNAS 12.0-U5 to get started.

TrueCommand 2.0 is the Single-Pane-of-Glass Management Platform

TrueNAS 12.0 includes support for TrueCommand (Docker or VM) and TrueCommand Cloud, a SaaS version that includes a VPN capability for managing across private networks. TrueCommand 2.0 includes a storage navigator to view datasets, files across multiple NAS systems, and real-time per-second statistics.

TC-Dash-7-28-21-1024x646.gif
TrueCommand view of TrueNAS systems with per second updates

TrueNAS 13.0 and SCALE are Progressing

TrueNAS users will have a choice of migrating to SCALE (Linux containers, hyperconvergence, and scale-out) or maintaining their TrueNAS CORE and Enterprise operations. TrueNAS 12.0-U6 is planned for the November timeframe. The next version of TrueNAS CORE and Enterprise will be 13.0 and will be based on FreeBSD 13.0. Early development has begun and more information will be available later this year.

TrueNAS SCALE 21.06-BETA already has thousands of users and is getting very positive early reviews. For the next five months, the focus will be on getting TrueNAS SCALE to a release quality similar to TrueNAS CORE/Enterprise 12.0. TrueNAS SCALE 21.08 is expected to be a solid, largely feature-complete BETA release. A Release Candidate is planned for early Q4.

TrueNAS CORE is the Best-Ever Free NAS

TrueNAS 12.0-U5 improvements continue its tradition as the best-ever “free NAS” system available. If you have any questions or comments, we’d love to hear them on the community forums, on the TrueNAS subreddit, or in response to this blog. If you need additional information on how TrueNAS can streamline, accelerate, and unify data management for your business, please contact us.

The post TrueNAS 12.0-U5 Released, FreeNAS Transitions to “Legacy” Status appeared first on iXsystems, Inc. - Enterprise Storage & Servers.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
A full list of changes and bugs is available for those with an account on the TrueNAS Jira bug tracker.
Although I have a Jira account, and have logged on to it, I cannot access the change list page.
Why put such useful information behind a wall? This is a change I cannot understand.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Although I have a Jira account, and have logged on to it, I cannot access the change list page.
Why put such useful information behind a wall? This is a change I cannot understand.

I'm not sure why it's set up this way. Let me reach out to our IT team and have them double-check that permissions aren't messed up.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Well, if I look back at the last couple of months and what bugs we have seen, I find the statement "TrueNAS 12.0-U5 was released today and is now the recommended update for even the most conservative users [..] " rather bold, to put it mildly. I have been a happy user of FreeNAS for about ten years, but the release of TrueNAS 12 so far has been absolutely abysmal in terms of QA from my perspective. For SOHO use it is probably ok, but not for enterprise-grade scenarios by a long shot.

Etorix

Wizard
@ChrisRJ , marketers will be marketers I suppose…
At least we get this sentence:
Wait a couple of weeks for community feedback and then update.

With that, and the recent "cosmetic" glitch with CPU reporting in U4, it looks more and more like TrueNAS "releases" are more akin to "beta" or "release candidates", with iXsystems doing only automated testing for data integrity and leaving all visual and functional (middleware crashes, etc.) testing to "the community". Someone at iXsystems possibly thought it was a good idea to corral all users into signing in to Jira and filing bug reports. I'm afraid this will rather shrink the user base by frightening away putative users and wearing out the existing community.

I'm afraid I'll be more conservative than "even the most conservative users" and wait at least for U6 or U7 before jumping to U5. Being locked out of the full change list presumably means I'm not really in the "community" anyway.

Capture d’écran 2021-08-06 à 10.00.12.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-08-06 à 09.31.07.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-08-06 à 09.31.07.png
    447.4 KB · Views: 104

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I've reported the broken Jira link with possible alternatives multiple times and it has been repeatedly ignored why put known broken links in announcements?

Upgrading to U5 went mostly fine some problems I've had are Dynamic DNS service no longer starts , two out of my three jails have not been auto starting after rebooting (manual start works fine) and filing the DNS bug report caused an unscheduled reboot lol

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@JoshDW19, people are quite literally taking the release notes mini-fiasco (my choice of expression is justified by the outcome rather than any real issues anyone had) and taking it to mean all sorts of things from "iXsystems is trying to pull a pfSense" to who-knows-what-the-rumor-mill-will-invent-today. The blog post needs to updated to point at something that works, ASAP.
Some stuff is hard, some choices are controversial, some decisions lead to speculation... This situation is nothing but a stupid broken link and/or Jira being annoying, but it is being misinterpreted - to the detriment of the product.

HarambeLives

Contributor
Something which I liked about the Synology forums, there was always a thread with the specific version and everyone commenting with their specific hardware and weird configs, and if it updated. Do we have that here? I don't see it anywhere. Do we have the forums blessing to start making threads like that?

It was nice to scroll through and see people with very similar configs reporting no issues or little observations. Very handy you saw three people in a row with the same issue and the same config as you with failed updates

olddog9

Dabbler
Flawless update of my TrueNAS Mini X+ from 12 U4.1 to 12 U5.

Oh, such a pleasure !

kspare

Guru
Updated 2 of my boxes 11u5 to 12u5, no problems here.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
@JoshDW19, people are quite literally taking the release notes mini-fiasco (my choice of expression is justified by the outcome rather than any real issues anyone had) and taking it to mean all sorts of things from "iXsystems is trying to pull a pfSense" to who-knows-what-the-rumor-mill-will-invent-today. The blog post needs to updated to point at something that works, ASAP.
Some stuff is hard, some choices are controversial, some decisions lead to speculation... This situation is nothing but a stupid broken link and/or Jira being annoying, but it is being misinterpreted - to the detriment of the product.

Hey Eric! I had the blog post updated last Friday and removed the Jira line because it was confusing people. Instead, we're going to point people to the documentation release notes to eliminate any confusion.

Hey Eric! I had the blog post updated last Friday and removed the Jira line because it was confusing people. Instead, we're going to point people to the documentation release notes to eliminate any confusion.
Broken and confusing are different things........ and that same line is in the documentation with the same broken link. How high do your privileges need to be in Jira to access that link? My pleb account cannot view it and the screenshot above is also a logged in account.

Perhaps a link like https://jira.ixsystems.com/issues/?jql=project+=+NAS+AND+fixVersion+=+12.0-U5 would be a better choice? it isn't as pretty but is accessible.

Etorix

Wizard
Perhaps not using Jira at all for information about new releases would be an even easier and better choice?

hescominsoon

Patron
Well, if I look back at the last couple of months and what bugs we have seen, I find the statement "TrueNAS 12.0-U5 was released today and is now the recommended update for even the most conservative users [..] " rather bold, to put it mildly. I have been a happy user of FreeNAS for about ten years, but the release of TrueNAS 12 so far has been absolutely abysmal in terms of QA from my perspective. For SOHO use it is probably ok, but not for enterprise-grade scenarios by a long shot.
I agree..however for my x20 system i am being told that 11.x is out of support..so they are now forcing the issue....