NAS build advice before buying

Deshoqub

Cadet
Hey guys,

Been reading the TrueNAS forum for a while, lots of interesting stuff. I'm about to build mine and I'd like some feedback to avoid bad choices. It will be mainly used for storing data obviously, as well as a Linux VM to run self-hosted services. Maybe 1 or 2 other VM for lab and testing.
I'm going with 4x4To in RAID-Z1. I'm not sure yet how much I need, but 12To should be enough for a while. No ECC RAM, it's unfortunately out of my budget. I'll defintely get some when upgrading.

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x4
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400 W 80+ Gold
Total: €1385.04

Thanks

Davvo

MVP
TLDR: if you are not repurposing hardware you already have, I suggest you to change your choices.

You can reduce the SSD size if you don't already have It, but the build looks like you are repurposing some "old" parts. You will want at least another SSD for your VMs imho (better 2 in mirror).
Also, keep in mind that if you want to expand your pool in the future it will remain RAIDZ1 unless you destroy It; with 4x4TB you should get around 8-10 TB of space (I guestimate, there are some tools that can do you the math) before the pool's performance decreases.
Finally, consider going for 5400RPM disks as they are quieter and require less cooling as well as less power.

ECC RAM Is really important imho, but your CPU and probably your mobo of choice do not support It.
I would suggest a (used) supermicro board (which implies choosing another CPU). You should read the following references.
As well as the following in order to better understand ZFS.

Last edited: