Hardware selection for first build

j_walk

Cadet
Hello,

I am planning my first build starting with 4 12TB Seagate EXOS drives. I am going to use the Silverstone CS381 case as I already have it. I will be mainly using it for archiving video and audio files but will also plan to use it for other tasks including a light Windows 10 VM and occasionally host a Minecraft server from it.

The Hardware selection I have made is below:
Case: Silverstone CS381 (I already have the case)
CPU: Intel Xeon E-2136
Motherboard: AsRock Rack E3C242D4U2-2T Micro ATX Server Motherboard (Chose it for the built in 10gbe. Case only supports up to Micro ATX Motherboards)
RAM: 2x Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM CT32G4DFD8266 (The exact listing is here: https://www.devicedeal.com.au/crucial-32gb-ddr4-2666-udimm)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9I Low Profile CPU Cooler
Power supply: Seasonic 650W Focus SGX 80+ Gold Power Supply
Boot SSD: 2x Kingston SSDNow A400 120GB 2.5" SSD
Storage Drives: 4x Seagate ST12000NM001G 12TB 3.5" EXOS 512E SATA DRIVE (Plan to add 4 more down the line)

The main concerns I have with my hardware selection are:

1. RAM compatibility. I tried to find something from the motherboard's memory QVL but couldn't find anything for a reasonable price, should I be concerned?

2. Should I get a HBA card now? I know I will need one when I get more drives but is it worth getting one now? I plan to use the Silverstone CPS05-RE cable that allows me to plug in 4 Sata plugs into the motherboard and an SFF-8643 connector to plug into the backplane on the case. But would it be better to use a HBA card and use an SFF-8643 to SFF-8643 cable? and if so, where are good places to try track one down in Australia? I had a look on eBay and they are mostly coming from China, can I trust them?

3. The CPU has a TDP of 80W and the Noctua NH-L9I is rated upto 65W. The case only has 57mm clearance for the CPU cooler and needs an additional 10mm if the cooler has a top-down airflow. Will the Noctua NH-L9I be ok? What about an AIO or should I stay away from them? What other options should I look into?

Any help and advice you can offer will be appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Chose it for the built in 10gbe.

Might not be the right choice. 10GBase-T copper is very expensive, somewhat more power hungry and less performant than SFP+ based solutions. If you've chosen this as your first adventure into 10Gig ethernet because you don't know what the better options are, please do mozey on over to the 10 Gig Networking Primer and have a walkthru there.

be concerned?

Sure, so make sure the memory is returnable if it does not work out. I just went through a process buying through Supermicro where they didn't have their own QVL memory for an X12 system, but they're going to put on DDR4-3200 and test it, and they couldn't or wouldn't reveal what the actual part number was, instead just using a generic part number. The chip shortage has apparently caused quite a bit of havoc and it was the weirdest system purchase I had done in years, in part because I had to agree to let them BTO the thing in order to get any sort of commitment to even accept the order.

But would it be better to use a HBA card and use an SFF-8643 to SFF-8643 cable

HBA's tend to be a bit slower than mainboard SATA ports, and they will add ~10 watts onto your power usage.

The CPU has a TDP of 80W and the Noctua NH-L9I is rated upto 65W. The case only has 57mm clearance for the CPU cooler and needs an additional 10mm if the cooler has a top-down airflow. Will the Noctua NH-L9I be ok?

That's a six core processor. You have the option to maybe see if you can limit it to a smaller number of cores or locking down max turbo, or seeing if you can find something of better quality than a crappy Noctua cooler, where you'd have to be a bit concerned about potential fan burnout in a few years. I would note that your Silverstone chassis spec sheet talks about its suitability for use with a liquid cooling system, and perhaps that's something that would let you fully cool your CPU with a relatively modest low end liquid cooling system...? I don't know.

Nick2253

Wizard
Your ram does not appear to be ECC memory, and I would strongly recommend it. You don't need to get something that is exactly on the QVL (the manufacturers usually only test a small selection of modules), but it should be similar. However, even though memory is generally cross-compatible as long as it meets the specs, that's not 100% guaranteed. The only way to be 100% is to get something off the the QVL. In your shoes, especially for home use, I'd just get whatever DDR4-2666 ECC memory is cheapest.

HBA is probably unneeded now. I'd probably keep an eye out for one, and snap it up if you can find one cheap, but no need for it right away.

Don't get too caught up on TDP. Modern processors are pretty good at thermal throttling. If you use an undersized cooler, you're just going to run too hot, which means you're not getting all the processor that you're paying for. But it's unlikely that you'll damage anything. On the other hand, I agree with @jgreco: I'd get an AIO cooler. That will run cooler, quieter, and probably more stable long term.

Jessep

Patron
I would suggest looking at something that uses RDIMM rather than UDIMM, RAM is much cheaper and can be expanded further.

MB or server that would take an E5-26xx V4 CPU (or E5-16xx V4) would support RDIMM for instance.

What is your overall budget (-drives)? You might be better served with used enterprise gear.

j_walk

Cadet
Your ram does not appear to be ECC memory, and I would strongly recommend it.
Oops, I definitely want to use ECC RAM. I don't know how that slipped by. I must have read udimm and assumed it meant unbuffered ECC.

I would suggest looking at something that uses RDIMM rather than UDIMM, RAM is much cheaper and can be expanded further.

MB or server that would take an E5-26xx V4 CPU (or E5-16xx V4) would support RDIMM for instance.
What advantages would the RDIMMs have over ECC UDIMMs? I no longer need the 10gbe ports built in as I plan to now go SFP+, so I am going to go for the AsRock Rack E3C246D4U instead as it saves me a couple hundred. It still supports 128gb of unbuffered ECC ram which I thought would be enough for a while. I will look into the platforms you have suggested more before dismissing them.

After looking for RAM that is actually ECC I found NEMIX RAM 64GB 2x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Memory. I guess ram is something I may just have to buy and try to confirm but is there anything that jumps out as a red flag about it?

@jgreco: I'd get an AIO cooler. That will run cooler, quieter, and probably more stable long term.
After a quick browse I think the corsair h100x looks suitable for a decent price. supports LGA1151 and corsair is somewhat reputable right?

What is your overall budget (-drives)? You might be better served with used enterprise gear.
I don't have a firm budget, my original plans without drives, were about 2,000 AUD (~1,500 USD) so I would like to try around there but of course would love to save where I can. I would prefer to try to go new and through an actual store instead of secondhand as it is my first build. It just gives me more confidence

Might not be the right choice. 10GBase-T copper is very expensive, somewhat more power hungry and less performant than SFP+ based solutions. If you've chosen this as your first adventure into 10Gig ethernet because you don't know what the better options are, please do mozey on over to the 10 Gig Networking Primer and have a walkthru there.
ok, I have looked into SFP+ equipment and it looks like I could save a few hundred from original plans so thanks for bringing this up. I was planning to just use copper because it was easier and is more likely to just work as I don't have to worry about transceiver compatibility but avoiding it would be worth it. I have read through the 10 Gig Networking Primer.

Chelsio cards are mentioned as the cards of choice I think I found a Chelsio T520-SO-CR for 120AUD should this work?

My next mission is to find transceivers. The dell powerconnect 5524 switch is mentioned, I found one for about 100 AUD (70 USD) (Here) is it worth still? Also, as I only have a laptop I was looking into a thunderbolt 10gig SFP+ dongle (QNAP QNA-T310G1S) and found a transceiver that looks to be compatible for about $10, it seems too good to be true though as other models listed as compatible are about $100+. Maybe a different thread is required to discuss this this as I can get the NAS up and running without 10 Gig for now.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jessep

Patron
In AUS? Good on ya.

Something like this for $1200 (free shipping) if you only need 8 bays.
Dell R730 SERVER 2x E5-2643 V4 3.4ghz 6C 128GB Ram NO Raid 2x PSU
I've not bought from them, however 100% positive feedback and over 3300 sales.

EDIT1:
You would need to add HBA, and verify with the server seller that it comes with the RAID/BP cables or you will need those as well

Drive trays, these are likely new China knock offs (should work fine), sold from AUS reseller so no shipping issues

It comes with 10G base-t ports, so rj45 based so that's covered.

PSA, do not buy Dell parts (or any parts) from China if you can help it, shipping times and possible fakes are issues

Last edited:

j_walk

Cadet
mething like this for $1200 (free shipping) if you only need 8 bays.
Dell R730 SERVER 2x E5-2643 V4 3.4ghz 6C 128GB Ram NO Raid 2x PSU
I've not bought from them, however 100% positive feedback and over 3300 sales.

Unfortunately that particular listing has sold and there was no other suitable options on the sellers store. What should I be looking for (i.e. search terms). Searching for "servers" on eBay gives a lot of unhelpful listings (suprise suprise)

Jessep

Patron
Well damn, I was concerned about posting in case someone sniped it.

I'll have a look around.