Newbie Ryzen build

duderuud

Dabbler
Hello all,

I'm new here and thinking of building my own NAS. I currently own a Synology 1520+ but I need some more power and like to tinker with hard- and software.

What I am looking at right now ordered:
- Silverstone CS381 case Fractal Design Node 804
- Asrock X470D4U2 board
- AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE APU
- Noctua NH-L9a cooler
- 2 x 16GB Kingston KSM32ED8/16MR ECC memory modules
- 5 x 8TB WD Red Plus (WD80EFBX) disks
- 2 x 500GB Samsung 970 EvoPlus SSD's (from my current NAS)
- Seasonic Core GM 500W power supply

Still looking for the best CPU cooler that will fit nicely and won't be too loud.

Will this build work with Scale?

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Expensive case - but it might be just what I am looking for
No PSU
What will you be using the 500GB SSD's for?

duderuud

Dabbler
Good question, first I thought a cache pool but it seems Truenas doesn't do cache :)
So not sure yet...

PSU is a good one, forgot to add it to the list:
Coolermaster V550 SFX

NugentS

MVP
Yeah - cache isn't what you think it is and doesn't do what you think it does

duderuud

Dabbler
Have to get to know Truenas more but maybe set it up for apps and/or vm's exclusively.

duderuud

Dabbler
(I can't edit my own posts yet, sorry)

Would Truenas play nice if I added a SATA expansion card and a few extra drives?
Or does that take a lot of hassle to add those new drives to an existing pool?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

ThreeDee

Guru
I run the X470D4U and a 3700x (in sig) and have been , for the most part, very happy with my setup. I still have an issue that if I enable PBO and CPB in the BIOS, then my Plex jail will crash after a few days .. temps peak at about 20c more too (mid 40's jumping up to mid 60's from what I've observed). With PBO and CPB off, my setup is 100% stable running 24/7... I'd like to get my hands on a 5700x and see if I still have the same issue with PBO and CPB enabled (I've tried with 2 different 3700x's with same result)

duderuud

Dabbler
Heat seems to be the biggest problem of the CS381 case.
Maybe the Node 804 is a better choice.

Choices choices...

Last edited:

mtthiu

Cadet
ThreeDee, did you solve the RAM clearance issue for the 4th slot? My NH-U12 doesn't fit, because the heatpipes are above the ram slot.

ThreeDee

Guru
ThreeDee, did you solve the RAM clearance issue for the 4th slot? My NH-U12 doesn't fit, because the heatpipes are above the ram slot.
well I have mis-matched RAM .. My first set of regular sized 2x16GB ECC UDIMM's didn't both initially work .. only one stick did so I thought one was bad (they were packaged horribly) .. So I bought another 2x16GB ECC UDIMM low profile kit .. on a whim, tried the 'bad" stick before the new kit got here and it automagically worked .. very odd (maybe it was the BIOS update?)

anyways .. all that to say that I have the low profile kit in 1st and 3rd slots away from CPU Socket and the other normal size in the the 2nd and 4th slots .. so everything clears just fine .. but my Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 w/2 x 120mm Noctua Fans (Push/Pull) just barely cleared the regular sticks too .. I think you could still get a piece of paper between the heat pipes and the regular sized stick of memory, lol. Now I just have a smidge more clearance.