Freenas build advice

pete-l

Cadet
I'm considering setting up a Freenas server for use as a network file share but with the intention to also use it to run Plex from the server to serve media files.

It would at most be two video streams simultaneously and probably only very rarely. It might be used to stream music and a video stream simultaneously but probably nothing more than that Plex wise. I don't tend to watch anything in 4k and sometimes don't even go as high as 1080 so I could well be over spec'ing for current use but don't mind building in a little future proofing now.

Most of the files stored on the Nas will be media files (videos, audio) as well as using it as a file sharing area to allow files to be accessed across PCs for files such as images from my DSLR and basic documents.

All of the access will just be in home as I'm not too bothered about making the files available when away from home.

I've been speccing up a system and currently looking at going with:
Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte B560M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
4x Western Digital WD Red Plus 6TB 3.5"
Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower
Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm wondering whether the best setup for this would be to use RaidZ2 or simply just basic mirroring and having 2 sets of drives.

I'm intending on having backups in placed outside of the Nas server for the files that are most important (camera files and documents) so I'm mainly wanting to ensure the best setup for running the Nas at suitable speeds for using to stream media via Plex.

Any thoughts on the above welcome. Thanks

Arwen

MVP
If performance is not an issue, using a 4 disk RAID-Z2 has better disk loss protection than a pool made up of 2, 2 disk Mirrors. In the case of the Mirrors, you can loose 1 disk from each Mirrored vDev before data loss. But, in the case of RAID-Z2, you can loose any 2 disks.

Some people new to FreeNAS / TrueNAS make less than ideal hardware or pool configuration choices.

Have you used ZFS before?
Or FreeNAS / TrueNAS?

You've selected a desktop / gaming motherboard, when it's preferred to use server style motherboards. Basically boards with audio ports, lots of USB are less useful because a NAS won't use all those ports.

pete-l

Cadet
Have you used ZFS before?
Or FreeNAS / TrueNAS?

You've selected a desktop / gaming motherboard, when it's preferred to use server style motherboards. Basically boards with audio ports, lots of USB are less useful because a NAS won't use all those ports.
I did think raidz2 would be better as it would still give roughly the same capacity.

No, it would be first time using ZFS, Freenas/Truenas before.

I'd went with that motherboard partly before it could be reusable in the future if the Freenas route didn't work out and I ended up putting Windows Windows Server or similar or but also because of the 6 sata3 connectors and the memory/CPU support.

pete-l

Cadet
Alternatively I had looked at swapping these in with the same case etc
Intel Xeon E-2124 3.3 GHz Quad-Core
Gigabyte C246M-WU4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Kingston ValueRAM 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory

Arwen

MVP
Yes, RAID-Z2 in a 4 disk configuration will give you the same storage size as 2, 2 disk Mirrored vDevs. Perhaps RAID-Z2 will be a little slower for some things, but the benefits out weigh

Sorry, I can't help you with CPU / motherboard selection.

Others have a list of suggested reading to get people up to speed faster. Again, sorry I don't have those handy. Though you can start with some of the Resources, in the Resources tab at the top of the forum. Like these two;

danb35

Hall of Famer