Truenas Media Serveur Configuration Advices

Alex240990

Dabbler
Hi folks,

I am actually building my first NAS DIY for mainly stream from Plex 4k videos (transcoding max 2 clients) and backuping occasionally some personal files. I read a lot during past months to get started. Based on your experience could you tell me what do you think about the below 2 config. Which one you will go for it :

Configuration 1 (I5 10600)
- Asus B460-I plus
- Intel I5 106000
- Fury Beast 32go
- Seagate 4x8 To
- Samsungo evo 250 Go Nvme
- Corsair alimentation CX 430
- Bequiet Pure Rock 2

Configuration 2 (I5 11600k)

- Asrock Z590M
- Intel I5 11600k
- Fury Beast 32go
- Seagate 4x8 To
- Samsungo evo 250 Go Nvme
- Corsair alimentation CX 430
- Bequiet Pure Rock 2

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Alex

NugentS

MVP
Both have 1 PCIe slot - so expansion is limited

Asus & Asrock
  1. Crappy NIC - Its Realtek. Get an Intel NIC (thats your PCIe slot used)
  2. Not convinced about the PSU. Is it one you want 24*7 from
  3. No idea what the HDD's are - make sure they aren't SMR
  4. It isn't ECC - but you know that
  5. I do like Bequiet heatsinks - I am assuming this one is sized correctly
No real difference between the 2

Alex240990

Dabbler
@NugentS Hi !

Thanks for your feedback. The Asrock has Intel Lan vs the Asus. What is the big problem with realtek?

I think to chose the second set up because of the I5 11600k for video transcoding (Intel 730 IGPU).

The HDD are the Ironwolf from Seagat.

NugentS

MVP
Much as I hate to say it the Asrock is: 1 x 2.5 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000/2500 Mb/s (Dragon RTL8125BG). The wireless is Intel
RTL = Realtek - that particular device may not be recognised at all.

Realtek are cheap shoddy NICs with (perhaps more importantly) crappy drivers that will under load cause issues. Of all the things that you MUST get right - its the network card.
ECC is sensible but optional. No issue with the CPU's - HDD's are fine. Onboard SATA is (almost certainly) fine
I think the PSU is possibly a bit on the cheap side - but YMMV
Make sure the case has plenty of airflow.

Get a second hand NIC 10Gb or 1Gb from a system dismantler - rather than the cheapest from ebay (from China) which has a higher likelihood of being a fake card. A dismantler generally has lots of these things.

Yeah - it costs a bit - but it WILL save you a load of trouble.

Alex240990

Dabbler
@NugentS tank you very much for your time and all your comments. I will consider to buy a LAN card following your advices.

Last question but not least ;) I was wandering to put the nas in a wardrobe... I know I know this is not the ideal but is it a big issue ? (The case will have 3 chasi fans and the I5 11600k will be mounted with the bequiet Pure Rock 2)

NugentS

MVP
Hmmm, I stand corrected on the Intel - the second port is Intel (I219V) which probably doesn't have support in TrueNAS (I can find threads where people have given up).
You still need a proper NIC - as I mentioned above. A server grade NIC or similar. 1Gb or 10Gb is your choice (1Gb is cheaper) but do this

Also see

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
I prefer the i210

Alex240990

Dabbler
I prefer the i210
@NugentS
I saw it was in the recommended hardware. I ordered it to put on the motherboard PCE Express 16x. I guess now I am good to go with the proper ethernet controller and the I5 10600 will do the job reasonably to transcode one 4k file.

Thank you again very much for your assistance and advices!!!! Even if I have some knowledge on pc builds I didn't know all the specificities for truenas.

NugentS

MVP
You are welcome.
BTW - don't forget a UPS as I am reminded in another thread