TrueNAS Core - no network, Scale - OpenVPN client config export

jacekh

Cadet
My needs: backup for PC, VPN server, GitLab CE (and maybe one instance of Linux as a VM), no plans for docker/Kubernetes/Plex etc.

I used TrueNAS Core for a couple of months for backups from my Windows machine (with Acronis/SMB). It was built on a quite old machine - Intel i950, 12 GB of RAM, 4x 4TB (Seagate HDD), Samsung SSD 250 GB for cache, 1 TB HDD for OS. It was too noisy because of HDDs, old PSU, so I decided take another old machine but a little younger ;) and make it as silent as possible:
  • Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 3,
  • Intel i5-4640 with very quiet fan,
  • 16 GB DDR3,
  • SSD 250 GB ready for OS,
  • 500 GB NVMe for cache,
  • 6x 1 TB SSD for data;
  • not dedicated GPU.
I'm also planning a PCIe card with 4 SATA intfs for my next four 500 GB SSDs.

I installed TrueNAS Scale. No problem with the configuration, running. But the current version has probably a bug (according that what I've found) with saving client configuration from OpenVPN service.

So I decided to go for TrueNAS Core (again) and maybe switch to Scale when the bug will be gone. The problem was with network - it just didn't worked. No matter if DHCP was enabled (with or without reservation for MAC address) or not (manual settings: IP, netmask, gateway, DNS) the system wasn't able to work, no pinging the router nor router couldn't ping the server, and of course web UI wasn't accessible. During the reboot I saw commands with network interface Up/Down lines and the info FAILED. It was a fresh install, also I tried to reset settings to default - the same. Shell ifconfig had the valid configuration, no chance to work. Reinstalled three times with the same result.

In both versions of TrueNAS (Scale and Core) I used the latest stable version available on 25th of Dec 2022.

1. TrueNAS Core: what can cause the problem with networking? Any special driver is required for the NIC?
2. TrueNAS Scale: I used OpenVPN for months, now cannot export the client configuration. Do you think it will be fixed soon?
3. There are many tutorials for OpenVPN in Core so it wasn't a problem for me to create the right configuration. I saw some advices for using Wireguard instead of OpenVPN, however haven't found a tutorial for running it in Scale (I found one for Core but is not the same). Have you seen any working step-by-step tutorial Wireguard & TrueNAS Scale?