OpenVPN client

I've tried to use the OpenVPN client built in TrueNAS SCALE to connect to a VPN provider, but I am stuck at the "Root CA must have CRL Sign set for KeyUsage extension." problem that is (was?) found in TrueNAS Core, too:
Is there any workaround to avoid this check by TrueNAS? Or is it possible to setup an OpenVPN client connection at strarup from the shell?
Just starting the connection from the shell doesn't seem to work, maybe the iptables rules need to be updated along with it?

ThreepE0

Cadet
I've got a reply pending mod approval on this thread that may help:

Long story short, edit "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vpn.py" to remove the client cert requirement, then restart middlewared service. You should then be able to submit the client config as needed. Please note that for me, it was subjectkeyidentifier on the client cert that was erroring out, which shouldn't be needed so I was comfortable removing the requirement. As always, use your own judgement.

I hope this helps

Skoal262

Dabbler
(TrueNAS Scale 22.0.2.4) Even easier solution:
1. Try using one of the various guides to copy the info from the ovpn file into the web ui
2. it doesnt need to connect it just needs to save to the client.conf file so the ui is happy
3. copy your openvpn .ovpn file to a dataset or / or where ever.
4. open linux shell or ssh into TN
5. nano /lib/systemd/system/openvpn-client@.service
- change: "ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --suppress-timestamps --nobind --config client.conf"
- to: "ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --suppress-timestamps --nobind --config InsertFileNameHere.ovpn"
6. Reboot Truenas. (a simple systemctl restart openvpn-client@.service wont cut it - i tried; neither does toggling the gui)
I MEAN IT JUST REBOOT THE MACHINE
7. toggle the openvpn client service on
8. verify connection

Skoal262

Dabbler
(TrueNAS Scale 22.0.2.4) Even easier solution:
1. Try using one of the various guides to copy the info from the ovpn file into the web ui
2. it doesnt need to connect it just needs to save to the client.conf file so the ui is happy
3. copy your openvpn .ovpn file to a dataset or / or where ever.
4. open linux shell or ssh into TN
5. nano /lib/systemd/system/openvpn-client@.service
- change: "ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --suppress-timestamps --nobind --config client.conf"
- to: "ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --suppress-timestamps --nobind --config InsertFileNameHere.ovpn"
6. Reboot Truenas. (a simple systemctl restart openvpn-client@.service wont cut it - i tried; neither does toggling the gui)
I MEAN IT JUST REBOOT THE MACHINE
7. toggle the openvpn client service on
8. verify connection
Did some more testing and Step 1 & 2 are entirely optional. avoids any issues with certs all together :)

kuloch

Cadet
@Skoal262, are you familiar with `systemctl daemon-reload` ? Systemd intentionally doesn't reread the unit definition files every time you reload a service. That reload command tells it to reread all unit files for changes. It's always required if you want to add/delete/remove a systemd service without rebooting.

Skoal262

Dabbler
@Skoal262, are you familiar with `systemctl daemon-reload` ? Systemd intentionally doesn't reread the unit definition files every time you reload a service. That reload command tells it to reread all unit files for changes. It's always required if you want to add/delete/remove a systemd service without rebooting.
I am. I tried this initially and caused much frustration. It loaded it showed connected but would not pass traffic. In the end I had to reboot to resolve it. I think it's something to do with how the GUI handles the services and middleware daemon.