TrueNAS Core on QNAP TS-653D - No NICs

marxbrother

Cadet
I have recently purchased a QNAP TS-653D that was on sale last month. I was looking to upgrade my old Dell PE 2950 FreeNAS box with the QNAP running TrueNAS. I installed the latest TrueNAS Core (12u7) on an external SSD and all was well except no nics were detected. Has anyone tried this and run into the same issue? I have no issues using TrueNAS Scale, but would like to use Core instead.

Thanks,
Marxbrother

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Wait until 12.0-U8, when the driver for the Intel 2.5 G NIC will be bundled. Hopefully, this will only be a few days away.

marxbrother

Cadet
12.0-U8 worked like you said. The 2.5GbE adapters were detected and I have my QNAP up and running with TrueNAS Core. I have one other question. I decided to add this adapter to the QNAP: QNAP QXG-10G2TB 2-Port 10GbE PCIe Adapter. Should TrueNAS detect it if there are drivers for it? It does not seem to show up in the Network Interfaces. If it is that drivers are not in 12.0-U8, is there somewhere I can request they be added to a future update? Thanks again.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
QNAP QXG-10G2TB 2-Port 10GbE PCIe Adapter.

So far as I know, there are no drivers available for this in TrueNAS or upstream FreeBSD. The PHY chip is an Aquantia AQC-113C. There is an alpha driver for the AQC-107 bundled in TrueNAS, which you can try loading by setting a loader tunable if_atlantic_load="YES", and then rebooting, but experience on this forum with this driver has been very uneven.

The upstream driver repo isn't updated very often, since the developers consider the BSD platform to not really be worth the time. Most of the development goes into the Windows and Linux drivers, as you'd expect.

You could try converting to TrueNAS SCALE 22.02, when it'll be released on 2/22, as this is based on Debian, and there's a much higher likelihood of that NIC working over there.