Advice on converting a QNAP TS-673 to TrueNAS Core?

Hi!

I am at my wits end with QNAP for the same reasons I've seen others express elsewhere on the forums. I'm mostly fed up with the lousy closed-source firmware and vulnerabilities.

With that said, I'm planning on moving over to TrueNAS. I was planning on buying brand new hardware, but a friend recommended I convert my current hardware if possible. I am curious to see if anyone could provide me with up-to-date info on whether or not I might be able to convert my current hardware with minimal hiccups? I really don't mind buying new hardware, but obviously it would be great to save $ on converting if possible! If you all think I might be better off avoiding the conversion, I'll probably just put the old QNAP enclosure on eBay and call it a day.

I've seen many other good threads about this, but I didn't see my specific hardware mentioned anywhere, and I only need CORE, not SCALE.

I found these threads inspiring:

QNAP specs:

TS-673
5.0.0.1932 build 20220129

I've added one additional 16gb RAM stick to my unit, so I've got 24GB RAM total.

Thanks so much!

azsose

Cadet
I just bought 6 9 pin DOMs from China. They are 32GB. If you are i nterested they are a great option for installing TrueNas. Using one on my 451+

NugentS

MVP
@azsose Any chance of a link?

@oopstoops2022 it looks doable although you will need to add a graphics card of some kind
x86 check
> 8GB memory check
USB check
Boot DOM will need either removing or ignoring as it ain't big enough. Before spending money on another DOM try installing to a USB flash drive first. You will need 1 * USB with TN ISO, 1 * USB to install on and 1 USB Keyboard. You will need to access the QNAP BIOS

If that install works then you could either buy a bigger DOM OR install to NVME or Install to an SSD on a USB adapter (just not a flash drive) or something else. But test first (and better to remove the existing DOM just for safety)

Last edited: