TrueNAS SCALE on QNAP TS-653D - Heartbeat

rtc

Cadet
Sharing my experience and hoping for some insight. I installed TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.0.1 on my QNAP TS-653D and unfortunately had to roll back to QNAP QTS 5.0.0.1986 Build 20220324 after an exhaustive effort to resolve the heartbeat.

My QNAP motherboard is Rev. 1, BIOS version is Q04MAR12, has 32GB of Crucial memory, a QM2-2S-220A PCIe with 2 each 2TB NVMe WDC model WDS200T2B0B-00YS70, and 4 each Seagate 6TB model ST6000VN001-2BB186 drives.

After installing SCALE on a USB 3.0 flash drive, I set up a single RAIDZ1 pool with the WDC drives and copied approximately 2.5 TB of data to the pool via SMB share. All worked great as expected, on Friday. However, On Saturday, I noticed a constant rhythmic sequential scan of the drives 1 through 4 approximately every 5 or 6 seconds. It was like a heartbeat and a bit loud, similar to the sound from the movie Contact (1997) with Matthew McConaughey. I thought it might have something to do with ZFS but after reviewing the logs and waiting several days for it to go away, I could not find anything that stood out.

I only reverted back because of the constant heartbeat cycle, not good background noise for online meetings and I am not sure what effect it could have on my drives.

Until I find a solution, I will continue to research this issue with later versions of TrueNAS SCALE in hopes of making a permanent transition. I am open to any ideas, and suggestions.

RTC

Model name: TS-653D Rev. 1
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) J4125 CPU , up to 2700 MHz (4 cores, 4 threads)
BIOS version: Q04MAR12
Total memory: 32 GB (31 GB usable)
Memory slots: 2 (16 GB / 16 GB)

PCIe: QM2-2S-220A with 2 each 2TB NVMe WDC model WDS200T2B0B-00YS70
Drives: 4 each Seagate 6TB model ST6000VN001-2BB186 drives in RAIDZ1

sretalla