New CPU/MOBO/RAM

jakeyg

Cadet
Hi All,

I currently have an HP elite 8200 sff that has been running Truenas for a number of years. I recently purchased a new Ironwolf HDD 10TB and tried to add it in, but have all sorts of issues, particularly around the physical space limitations, so I pulled out the MOBO and power supply and put that in an old lian li case. I don't think the PSU can supply enough power to power the extra HDD along with the 2x4tb Seagate barracudas (shucked from a while back) and a 3tb wd nas red drive. The new drive never shows up in disks. I also have the OS running on a 120GB Samsung SSD. all ancient parts but truenas has been running happily. Bearing in mind that this system is geared for plex and acknowledging that I don't have ECC ram, a server mobo etc. I was thinking about spending up to 500 to upgrade some of the components, thinking I might also use it as a CCTV NVR at some point, and perhaps put a few VMs to learn to do some pen testing etc I picked some parts below, but understand that these are more consumer-grade rather than server-grade. I have a pretty decent spare ATX PSU so I figure I don't have to get a new one of those. If you had that sort of $ to spend, what would you go for given the use case?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.00 @ BPC Technology)
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($169.00 @ BPC Technology)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory ($148.83 @ JW Computers)
Total: $546.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-30 23:14 AEDT+1100

rvassar

Guru
You might be hitting the 3.3v SATA "sleep" problem on the new drive. Try it with a old school 4 pin molex to SATA power adapter.

jakeyg

Cadet
You might be hitting the 3.3v SATA "sleep" problem on the new drive. Try it with a old school 4 pin molex to SATA power adapter.
Sadly I don't think it's this. I had only 4 SATA ports on the HP board, so without research, I purchased a SilverStone ECS06 6 Port SATA3 Controller, thinking I could just throw in another 6 SATA devices. However, I'm yet to work out if it's compatible with Truenas, though after researching, it looks like I should've purchased a Dell H310 and flashed it from RAID to IT. When I changed the SATA cables the larger drive showed up in the NAS.

I recall when I first was looking at FreeNAS, ECC ram was ludicrously more expensive than non-ECC and I had absolutely no spare cash. Now I have a little more and the prices have come down it seems like i could get some more quality parts that could really make use of truenas.

These guides are incredible, such a great community:-
Think I have to learn a bit more before i decide to purchase

Morris

Contributor
Disconnect power from all your drives except the boot drive and the new Ironwolf HDD 10TB. It it's detected, then you have a power issue. If it is not detected, try it on one of the working SATA ports with a proven cable. If it works, then you have a controller issue.

There are plenty of SATA controllers that will work just fine with TrueNAS. There simply not on the list of known to work controllers. You can use them at your own risk. I've been successful doing this yet nothing is guaranteed.