Looking to upgrade ASRock E3C226D2I (new CPU, RAM, Motherboard)

Bageland2000

Dabbler
Hello,
I'm currently running an ASRock E3C226D2I with 16GB RAM and an Intel Xeon E3-1275 V3. Looking to upgrade my capacity down the road, and the current mobo maxes at 16GB RAM so I'll need to upgrade the whole MB/CPU/RAM combo. I'm building this in a full Fractal R5, so I can go bigger than ITX if necessary. I don't have a lot of current familiarity with similar grade motherboards (dual NIC, NIC management port, ECC support, etc.) do I'm wondering if the community can make some suggestions? I'll be running the typical Plex plus maybe some future VMs for things like Pi-hole or other fun projects. Can anyone suggest where to start?

mberi

Cadet
I'm also relatively new here, but here's what I've gathered by reading various posts:

If you don't need to go above 32 GB of RAM, you can probably get a Supermicro X10 Motherboard.
Your existing CPU will move over, you can also use your current 16 GB of RAM, and add 2 more sticks of RAM to get 32 GB. Most Supermicro X10 Motherboards are mATX form factor, so they will fit well into your Fractal R5.

Here's a guide to know more about Supermicro X10 motherboards:
https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/so-you’ve-decided-to-buy-a-supermicro-x10-board.14/

If you need more than 32 GB of RAM and/or want to upgrade to a newer platform by changing your Mobo/CPU/RAM combo, here's a helpful Hardware recommendation guide: