mobo-cpu-ram

gulfstreme

Cadet
I had these parts picked out for a build in 2016 but didn't pull the trigger.

$240.00 mthrbd Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151
$100.00 cpu Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor
$75.00 ram Crucial 16gb (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 ECC CT16G4WFD8213
$1,000.00 storage Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive WD40EFRX x8
$100.00 case Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
$80.00 psu SeaSonic - 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

As of January 2019 what is a good 8sata-mobo/cpu/ecc-ram combo for around $500?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The hardware you listed is still perfect for FreeNAS.
You just need to get a boot drive, or pair of them.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You can still get the R5 on eBay and I like it better than the R6.

Evertb1

Guru
$75.00 ram Crucial 16gb (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 ECC CT16G4WFD8213
Still good, but with the prices these days your 500 dollar budget will be stressed.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
As of January 2019 what is a good 8sata-mobo/cpu/ecc-ram combo for around $500?
You list your location as mushroom , so I don't know where you are in the universe, but if you were in the US, I might suggest looking at used hardware, as you can save significantly on the purchase of a system and still have a perfectly good NAS. That is one of the great things about a NAS, it doesn't need to be the latest hardware to be fully functional for the purpose.

gulfstreme

Cadet
The hardware you listed is still perfect for FreeNAS.
You just need to get a boot drive, or pair of them.

I planned on using a USB stick to boot from.

The problem rt now is I don't see any Crucial ECC Ram (1 x 16 GB) for less than ~$200. Do I need to change my mobo/cpu to accomodate recently available cheaper ram sticks?

gulfstreme

Cadet
You list your location as mushroom , so I don't know where you are in the universe, but if you were in the US, I might suggest looking at used hardware, as you can save significantly on the purchase of a system and still have a perfectly good NAS. That is one of the great things about a NAS, it doesn't need to be the latest hardware to be fully functional for the purpose.

Yes, I'm in Texas but I decided that a newer chipset w 8 sata onboard (intel C236) would be better than messing w a used SAS card so I was ok with the price. But now I can't find reasonably priced Ram so I maybe need to go with a newer chipset/cpu?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
so I maybe need to go with a newer chipset/cpu?
Newer is generally equivalent to more expensive. If you are looking to save cash, used is the way to go and there is very little advantage to spending more for new. The performance of a NAS is limited by the mechanical function of the drive and the bandwidth of the network. So an newer CPU might save you a little electricity, but you don't really need faster.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is still a possibility, but it is not a really good option any more as the operating system has continued to get larger and more demanding on the boot media. Please review the current Hardware Requirements:
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

SSD is the current recommendation for boot media.

1548450212241.png

Bozon

Contributor

The problem rt now is I don't see any Crucial ECC Ram (1 x 16 GB) for less than ~$200. Do I need to change my mobo/cpu to accomodate recently available cheaper ram sticks?

I haven't found much ECC UDIMM ram for much under $200. Since most of the good NAS boards require ECC UDIMM you are probably stuck with the cost. Some older boards take DDR3 instead of DDR4 which saves a little bit of money.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I haven't found much ECC UDIMM ram for much under $200. Since most of the good NAS boards require ECC UDIMM you are probably stuck with the cost. Some older boards take DDR3 instead of DDR4 which saves a little bit of money.
What you have to do is go with a processor and system board that can use Registered ECC memory (RDIMM) instead of Unbuffered (UDIMM) memory. Registered DDR3 memory, for example, is quite inexpensive.

Memory: Samsung 16GB PC3L-12800R DDR3-1600mhz 2RX4 Registered ECC REG SERVER MEMORY RAM - - US $49.73

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382502308086

Last edited:

Skro

Contributor
FYI, I almost bought the RAM you listed to add to my system with the same mobo (CT16G4DFD8213) and while it is listed on Amazon as "conforms to the industry standard DDR4 ECC UDIMM layout of 288 pins and is compatible with systems that take DDR4 2133MT/s UDIMM memory" the seller clarified that it is NOT ECC RAM. Crucial has changed their part numbers and it has become confusing, expensive, and difficult to find the Crucial ECC RAM for the X11SSM-F-O board any place besides directly from Crucial. I'd suggest going directly through the Crucial site or look for another brand you trust.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FYI, I almost bought the RAM you listed to add to my system with the same mobo (CT16G4DFD8213) and while it is listed on Amazon as "conforms to the industry standard DDR4 ECC UDIMM layout of 288 pins and is compatible with systems that take DDR4 2133MT/s UDIMM memory" the seller clarified that it is NOT ECC RAM. Crucial has changed their part numbers and it has become confusing, expensive, and difficult to find the Crucial ECC RAM for the X11SSM-F-O board any place besides directly from Crucial. I'd suggest going directly through the Crucial site or look for another brand you trust.
Why are you concerned with buying Crucial memory at all. That is by no means the only memory that will work with the system board.

Skro

Contributor
Why are you concerned with buying Crucial memory at all. That is by no means the only memory that will work with the system board.

I already have crucial memory and from what I understand, although I am by no means an expert, mixing different brands (even with the same specs) can cause problems. I am not recommending Crucial, just pointing out that part number as listed on Amazon is a bit confusing. I'm sure others could recommend another good brand.

Evertb1

Guru
mixing different brands (even with the same specs
My server server is running on DDR3 ECC UDIMM modules (4 x 8 GB). At first I had 2 Samsung sticks but when I decided I wanted to buy 2 more of them I could not get Samsungs anymore. So I bought 2 Crucial sticks and it worked perfectly. I had an agreement with the supplier that I could give them back should it not work.

Skro

Contributor
Originally I had 2 Samsung sticks but when I decided I wanted to buy 2 more of them I could not get Samsungs any more. So I bought 2 Crucial sticks and it worked perfectly. I had an agreement with the supplier that I could give them back should it not work.

Good to know, thanks!

gulfstreme

Cadet