Will this setup work with FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werd2BigBird

Cadet
FreeNAS use will be data storage. Plex music server. I did my best in following the guide to build the below setup. Two outstanding questions where can I save money and how much space total space does this give me.

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V6 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Case: Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: PRIME Titanium 650W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
HDD: 4x WD 4TB Red / 16GB Boot USB / 2 x 512 SSD

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inxsible

Guru
you can save money by using X9/X10 based boards which use DDR3 RAM instead of DDR4 which is quite expensive currently.

I use a Pentium G3240 for my FreeNAS box which is for data storage, plex/emby media server and couchpotato/transmission. Never had any issues as long as you don't want to transcode multiple streams simultaneously.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's also way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way too much power supply.

Werd2BigBird

Cadet
you can save money by using X9/X10 based boards which use DDR3 RAM instead of DDR4 which is quite expensive currently.

I use a Pentium G3240 for my FreeNAS box which is for data storage, plex/emby media server and couchpotato/transmission. Never had any issues as long as you don't want to transcode multiple streams simultaneously.

Give me an example of a different board I can use instead of this supermirco?

Stux

MVP
What are the two SSDs for?

How many HDs do you want eventually?

Werd2BigBird

Cadet
What are the two SSDs for?

How many HDs do you want eventually?

The SSD's are Storage for the VM's. I don't think I want any more than the 4 hard drives I already have. I don't have many machines to back up or data to store.

Inxsible

Guru

Inxsible

Guru
Give me an example of a different board I can use instead of this supermirco?
X9SCM-F or X9SCL-F is a great board to use. Those aren't the only ones of course.

Inxsible

Guru
The SSD's are Storage for the VM's. I don't think I want any more than the 4 hard drives I already have. I don't have many machines to back up or data to store.
Given that your requirements are not too many, I think you'd save a lot of money if you went with an older generation board/ram/cpu combination. I'd stick with X9 series just because you don't want to go "very" old on your hardware and the fact that older generation tends to be more power hungry. If you are willing to go rackmount, you'd find a lot of 1U servers for around $200-$250 max.

In fact, I have one lying around that I intend to sell because I am upgrading to a bigger chassis that will fit more drives.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
you'd find a lot of 1U servers for around $200-$250 max.

Personally, I tend to find that 1Us are very annoying due to noise. If server is housed somewhere where noise is not a concern, then it is not an issue; but expansion still rears its ugly head. ;)

Inxsible

Guru
Personally, I tend to find that 1Us are very annoying due to noise. If server is housed somewhere where noise is not a concern, then it is not an issue; but expansion still rears its ugly head. ;)
Agreed. expansion is why I am probably selling mine off.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's also way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way too much power supply.
Your system, as quoted, will run between 60w (idle) and 100w (full blast), by my estimation. So even during spin up, your instantaneous power draw is barely going to crack 100w, and your standard/idle wattage is going to be in the 60 range. Ideally, you want your running power to be somewhere right in the middle of a power supply's capacity. But this one will draw so little power that even a 300W power supply (which is the smallest most of us feasibly buy) is more than enough.

There's a good chance your efficiency would be pretty horrific drawing 50w out of a 600W power supply.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.