First FreeNAS Build

Carpenter99

Cadet
Good Afternoon

This is my first time building a NAS and was hoping for some advice and opinions on the build I set Up. If anyone has any advice or recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor Here
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Here
Memory: 2X Crucial - 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory Here
Storage: 4X Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Here
Case: Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case Here
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Here

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Storage: 4X Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM
What type of pool configuration had you planned?

All these components look fine. You just need to decide on boot media. I suggest using a small SSD. USB drives are not very reliable.

Carpenter99

Cadet
I will be sure to add an ssd for the boot media. I'm not really sure what pool configuration is?

Inxsible

Guru
I will be sure to add an ssd for the boot media. I'm not really sure what pool configuration is?
You need to read up a lot on ZFS and FreeNAS in general before you go about buying all the hardware. It might turn out that FreeNAS might not be for you.

As of now, a pool configuration needs to be determined up front because it cannot be modified without nuking your data and rebuilding the whole pool. So if you choose a pool configuration which does not work for you 3 months later, you are pretty much screwed since you have to start over fresh. No off the fly changes allowed with the pool configuration.

E.Marquez

Dabbler
What type of pool configuration had you planned?
Are you speaking to this in your "What type of pool configuration had you planned" ?
Creating a ZFS pool
We can create a ZFS pool using different devices as:
a. using whole disks
b. using disk slices
c. using files
If so, thanks, I learned my second thing here this morning
If that is not what you were asking,, then please try again for those of us that are new to this

Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We can create a ZFS pool using different devices as:
a. using whole disks
b. using disk slices
c. using files
If so, thanks, I learned my second thing here this morning
If that is not what you were asking,, then please try again for those of us that are new to this
No, I think you didn't get it. FreeNAS uses ZFS and the default configuration of FreeNAS is to create two partitions on every disk in a storage pool.
The first partition (by default) is a 2GB swap partition that is used by the operating system.
The remainder of the entire drive is partitioned as a single partition for ZFS.
The storage pool is created using the gptid of the second partition, not the da# of the disk. This means that when you do a zpool status of the storage, from the command line, you get an output that looks like this:
Code:
root@Emily-NAS:~/scripts # zpool status

pool: Backup
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 08:52:28 with 0 errors on Mon Nov 26 08:52:31 2018
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Backup                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/181101e2-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/18e924eb-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/19a7111b-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/1a9e1915-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

The think @Inxsible and I were trying to suggest is that the OP (and anyone else) should decide ahead of time what type of pool they need so they can buy the correct materials. If you buy materials and create a pool, without first planning for the amount of storage you need and the level of redundancy you want, you can easily trap yourself in a configuration that is less than optimal.
Here are some documents that everyone new to ZFS should read. They will help you understand.

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Why not to use RAID-5 or RAIDz1
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

If you need any additional guidance, please ask. The forum is filled with people that want to help you make good decisions.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The reason that I mention that FreeNAS does not use the da# for the pool creation is this. The disks do not need to remain connected in any particular order, or even to the same kind of controller. This gives you a lot of flexibility when making hardware changes in the future.

E.Marquez

Dabbler
No, I think you didn't get it. FreeNAS uses ZFS and the default configuration of FreeNAS is to create two partitions on every disk in a storage pool.
The first partition (by default) is a 2GB swap partition that is used by the operating system.
The remainder of the entire drive is partitioned as a single partition for ZFS.
The storage pool is created using the gptid of the second partition, not the da# of the disk. This means that when you do a zpool status of the storage, from the command line, you get an output that looks like this:
Code:
root@Emily-NAS:~/scripts # zpool status

pool: Backup
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 08:52:28 with 0 errors on Mon Nov 26 08:52:31 2018
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Backup                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/181101e2-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/18e924eb-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/19a7111b-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/1a9e1915-a35b-11e8-aefa-0cc47a9cd5a4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

The think @Inxsible and I were trying to suggest is that the OP (and anyone else) should decide ahead of time what type of pool they need so they can buy the correct materials. If you buy materials and create a pool, without first planning for the amount of storage you need and the level of redundancy you want, you can easily trap yourself in a configuration that is less than optimal.
Here are some documents that everyone new to ZFS should read. They will help you understand.

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Why not to use RAID-5 or RAIDz1
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

If you need any additional guidance, please ask. The forum is filled with people that want to help you make good decisions.
Thanks I had seen you recommend those links in other threads so already have them up in a tab, reading through them as I research more and more.
1549039285887.png

Notice anything about those tabs?

Im drinking from a fire hose now...Im trying, Im trying

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Notice anything about those tabs?

Im drinking from a fire hose now...Im trying, Im trying
LOL. It is a lot to take in. I spent a couple of years reading in the forum before I even signed up for an account and even after that it was a couple more years before I started posting more than questions of my own. I try to learn as much as I can every day even now, partly because it is changing.
If you are reading something from a few years ago, it may not still be true. Some things have stayed the same and others have shifted a bit and some of the documents have not caught up. If you even think you have a question, please ask.

E.Marquez

Dabbler
LOL. It is a lot to take in. I spent a couple of years reading in the forum before I even signed up for an account and even after that it was a couple more years before I started posting more than questions of my own. I try to learn as much as I can every day even now, partly because it is changing.
If you are reading something from a few years ago, it may not still be true. Some things have stayed the same and others have shifted a bit and some of the documents have not caught up. If you even think you have a question, please ask.
Im going to start (yes another will it FreeNAS) thread...

As I dont want to muddy others nor have the help I receive spread out across 10 threads

Dan Tudora

Patron
guys, guys
let's do some productive, let's help this forum members, not just to redirect to RTFM

1 SSD for boot device
2 definitely minimum RAIDZ2 (6 HDD) or better RAIDZ3 (8 HDD)
3 not all HDD from same batch/vendor
4 swap on SSD https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/how-to-relocate-swap-to-the-boot-drive.69/
5 SMART cron jobs like Chris Moore say, short on every day except sunday and long on sunday
6 use save_config.sh and other script from https://github.com/Spearfoot/FreeNAS-scripts as cron jobs
7 use UPS and configure NUT to shutdown
8 scrub pool on 12-15 day

other suggestion ??
some reading of documentation an more pray !!

Inxsible

Guru
guys, guys
let's do some productive, let's help this forum members, not just to redirect to RTFM
WHY? I would always ask someone to RTFM because that's what they are there for. and usually the manuals have things listed in detail rather than a forum post which may not include the nitty gritties.

1 SSD for boot device
Pop quiz !! You have a board and case which supports 6 drives. You have 6 data drives. What do you do? Where would you plug your SSD for boot?
What if you have only 4 drives? OR What if your aim is to get the maximum IOPS and not maximum space?
4 swap on SSD https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/how-to-relocate-swap-to-the-boot-drive.69/
5 SMART cron jobs like Chris Moore say, short on every day except sunday and long on sunday
6 use save_config.sh and other script from https://github.com/Spearfoot/FreeNAS-scripts as cron jobs
Blanket statements like these do not help anyone. Each use case is different and must be treated as such.

other suggestion ??
This should be the only advice. Read the documentation and come back with specific questions in case you don't understand something. Yeah, and you can pray -- if you are into that sort of thing.

Dan Tudora

Patron
WHY? I would always ask someone to RTFM because that's what they are there for. and usually the manuals have things listed in detail rather than a forum post which may not include the nitty gritties.

Pop quiz !! You have a board and case which supports 6 drives. You have 6 data drives. What do you do? Where would you plug your SSD for boot?
What if you have only 4 drives? OR What if your aim is to get the maximum IOPS and not maximum space?
Blanket statements like these do not help anyone. Each use case is different and must be treated as such.

This should be the only advice. Read the documentation and come back with specific questions in case you don't understand something. Yeah, and you can pray -- if you are into that sort of thing.

sorry, english is not my native languages
yeah, yeah, RTFM to the death

let's scared user (if you do not read documentation for 1 or 2 year it's no way to use this great piece of software !! :D)
Carpenter99 need an advice and of course user must to specify for what want to use this NAS system
the motherboard of Carpenter99 have 8 SATA port and can used in any configuration of RAIDZx
for use SSD without SATA port (because is unavaiable on MB) can use USB=>SATA adapter (I use in many system and is better than USB stick)
if have not just 4 drive, can buy another 2 :D (but of course just if Carpernter99 need reliability not maximum IOPS with ESXI or other flavor)

and of course RTFM it's a MUST, but Carpenter99 need an advice, let's help this member

hey Carpenters99, say something about your need

cheers

Bozon

Contributor
guys, guys

1 SSD for boot device

other suggestion ??

4 and 6 are interesting, I hadn't seen those links yet.

I actually liked your post because RTFM, while great advice skips something important that I learned a long time ago. It is important to have questions in mind when reading a manual. It is called active reading. Reading a manual with specific questions you want answered is far superior to just reading a manual. I changed your items above to questions to think about when reading the manuals.

The problem with being a newbie is you don't know what questions you need answered, when reading the manual and everything becomes a blur.

1) What should you boot with? SSD more reliable, but requires more SATA connectivity, which isn't always practical. If you are going to use USB Flash boot drive then you must mirror the boot device. How big does the boot device need to be, and why?
2) RAIDZ Level and minimum number of drives to comfortably implement that RAID Level. For example, RAIDZ is no longer considered acceptable because of how long it takes to re-build the modern large size drives.
3) What kind of HDD's to buy, and where to buy them.
4-6, 8) What kinds of admin tasks to run, and what is a good frequency for running them?
7) Additional hardware considerations such as UPS power supply.
9) How much memory? What kind of memory?

What other general questions should new users think about when reading the manuals.

Dan Tudora

Patron
4 and 6 are interesting, I hadn't seen those links yet.

I actually liked your post because RTFM, while great advice skips something important that I learned a long time ago. It is important to have questions in mind when reading a manual. It is called active reading. Reading a manual with specific questions you want answered is far superior to just reading a manual. I changed your items above to questions to think about when reading the manuals.

The problem with being a newbie is you don't know what questions you need answered, when reading the manual and everything becomes a blur.

1) What should you boot with? SSD more reliable, but requires more SATA connectivity, which isn't always practical. If you are going to use USB Flash boot drive then you must mirror the boot device. How big does the boot device need to be, and why?
2) RAIDZ Level and minimum number of drives to comfortably implement that RAID Level. For example, RAIDZ is no longer considered acceptable because of how long it takes to re-build the modern large size drives.
3) What kind of HDD's to buy, and where to buy them.
4-6, 8) What kinds of admin tasks to run, and what is a good frequency for running them?
7) Additional hardware considerations such as UPS power supply.
9) How much memory? What kind of memory?

What other general questions should new users think about when reading the manuals.

hey Bozon
I use a FreeNAS from the 2015 year (FN 9.3) and I hope to help the noob user, after loots of RTFM and forum reads (to many night)
maybe is time to fill my profile with my hardware and software configuration
if you read my previous post you see a solution for use a SSD with USB=>SATA adapter (of course in this case not work point 4 of my advice)
I spend many hours of trial and error with usb stick for installing and upgrading and when I found a solution I used.
solve many problem of installing or upgrading

at 6 can use https://github.com/edgarsuit/FreeNAS-Report I run a cron job daily (it's a MUST to set root email, see manual)
at your 9 point Carpenter99 want to buy 2x16 GB DDR4 ECC. I think is OK
But if he do not say for what is this FreeNAS we can not "guess" that is enough or not.

cheers