First build validation....

Wallas9512

Cadet
anybody can look this build, and advice me?

Intel Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte C246M-WU4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
2 x KINGSTON Hynix D KSM32ED8/16HD DDR4 ECC CL22 DIMM 2Rx8 3200 MHz 16 Go
4 x WD60EFAX Western Digital Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
3 x Noctua S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.27 CFM 120 mm Fan
2 x Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan

I don't want a video card
Do I need CPU Coller?
Whit the fan I have, the is the airfow going to be correct?

Thank
Sorry for my english.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Don't use the WD60EFAX, as this is an SMR model drive. You should use the WD60EFZX CMR model.
Yes, you do need a CPU cooler.

Wallas9512

Cadet
Don't use the WD60EFAX, as this is an SMR model drive. You should use the WD60EFZX CMR model.
Yes, you do need a CPU cooler.

Sorry, do i need another cpu Coller than the one supplied with the cpu...
And I read on SMR drive right now, I see that in another post...

I just check and in my qu nap I have 2 WD40EFRX and 2 ST4000VN008 :eek:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The cooler supplied with the CPU should be sufficient.

Etorix

Wizard
The 1 TB 980 Pro is overkill as boot drive (just get any cheap and small SSD), and has no obvious use other than as boot drive.

Wallas9512

Cadet
The 1 TB 980 Pro is overkill as boot drive (just get any cheap and small SSD), and has no obvious use other than as boot drive.
The SSD is not boot drive, is for Cache. I have a old samsung 840 EVO for boot drive, or may be a USB key.

Wallas9512

Cadet
You need a lot more RAM, like a minimum of 64GB, 128GB would be better, for 1TB of L2ARC cache.
Ok I use the Nas for storage and host one VM for my download... Do you recommended not use cache?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Ok I use the Nas for storage and host one VM for my download... Do you recommended not use cache?

You need cache and lots of it. But ZFS's primary cache is ARC, that is, system RAM. You want lots of system RAM, lots of ARC. Once you have maximized ARC, then you can look at secondary L2ARC, flash.

Adding L2ARC when you do not have enough ARC can actually make performance worse.

Wallas9512

Cadet
You need cache and lots of it. But ZFS's primary cache is ARC, that is, system RAM. You want lots of system RAM, lots of ARC. Once you have maximized ARC, then you can look at secondary L2ARC, flash.

Adding L2ARC when you do not have enough ARC can actually make performance worse.

is 32G sufficient for raidz / raidz2?
I don't havec the budget for 2 stick of 32G ECC RAM. :(

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It isn't a matter of RAIDZ. It's a matter of having enough RAM to hold the L2ARC pointers, and to have enough ARC to correctly identify useful stuff to throw out to the L2ARC.

It's hard to know how much ARC any given system WOULD find useful, but the general rule of thumb is that efficient L2ARC content identification usually seems to need at least 64GB RAM. On the flip side, it is generally a bad idea to size L2ARC above 5x-10x system RAM, so that works out to maybe a 120-250GB SSD max for a 32GB RAM system (because they don't make 320GB SSD's). This doesn't mean it'd be USEFUL, though.

So neither of these key issues supports your proposed system configuration.

Wallas9512

Cadet
It isn't a matter of RAIDZ. It's a matter of having enough RAM to hold the L2ARC pointers, and to have enough ARC to correctly identify useful stuff to throw out to the L2ARC.

It's hard to know how much ARC any given system WOULD find useful, but the general rule of thumb is that efficient L2ARC content identification usually seems to need at least 64GB RAM. On the flip side, it is generally a bad idea to size L2ARC above 5x-10x system RAM, so that works out to maybe a 120-250GB SSD max for a 32GB RAM system (because they don't make 320GB SSD's). This doesn't mean it'd be USEFUL, though.

So neither of these key issues supports your proposed system configuration.

Ok if i don't use cache and optimize RAM Like the system below... Il take the 980 SS budget to take more rame.
This is a suitable / Better / future upgradabled option?

CPU : Intel Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
MotherBoard : Gigabyte C246M-WU4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory : 2 x KINGSTON 32 Go 3200 MHz DDR4 ECC CL22 DIMM 2Rx8 Micron E (KSM32ED8/32ME)
Disk : 4 x WD60EFZX Western Digital Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Boot Drive : Samsung 840 EVO 120G
Case : Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supplie : SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
FAN : 3 x Noctua S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.27 CFM 120 mm Fan
2 x Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan

Etorix

Wizard
That's probably more balanced.
If you take 2*32 GB rather than 4*16 GB expecting to eventually fill the remaining slots for 128 GB, it should be mentioned that the best path to high RAM is to go for Xeon E5/D/Scalable (or EPYC) and RDIMM: Higher capacity, lower price (especially with "refurbished" parts).
Storage does best with raidz#, for space efficiency. But then it would take 6-8 drives to make a reasonably wide vdev.
VM, on the other hand, strongly wants a mirror (or a stripe of mirrors)…
Your case and PSU can take up more drives, and you should probably budget that upfront.

Note that 8-10 drives will NOT be silent, so you are possibly overspending by replacing the Fractal Design fans with Noctuas.

Wallas9512

Cadet
her than 4*
That's probably more balanced.
If you take 2*32 GB rather than 4*16 GB expecting to eventually fill the remaining slots for 128 GB, it should be mentioned that the best path to high RAM is to go for Xeon E5/D/Scalable (or EPYC) and RDIMM: Higher capacity, lower price (especially with "refurbished" parts).
Storage does best with raidz#, for space efficiency. But then it would take 6-8 drives to make a reasonably wide vdev.
VM, on the other hand, strongly wants a mirror (or a stripe of mirrors)…
Your case and PSU can take up more drives, and you should probably budget that upfront.

Note that 8-10 drives will NOT be silent, so you are possibly overspending by replacing the Fractal Design fans with Noctuas.

I know for the fans, by the review I saw test default fans and the temp is high... In the video he had 5 fan for optimize the temps.
I put all the noctua on motherboard side, and 3 1000Rpm fans on disk side.

I know too for E5, but the motherboard I look for is not accessible in canada at good price (X10SRM-TF).

It is really for home use, and I don't want a old U2/U4 server (I check many old server).
I check the proliant server and old T410 But I want 8 bay for the futur.

With this configuration I can go to 128G of ram, I am very happy with that...

Thank All for your advice!