Hardware List - First FreeNAS (First computer build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

free newbie

Cadet
I've read much. I tried to use "obvious" choices. Still afraid, something (no many things) might be stupid. I am attempting to follow the rules and put together an Amazon Wish List for Reference. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

**Motherboard** | [Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151

**CPU** | [Intel - Xeon E3-1275 V5 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor]

**CPU Cooler**[Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler]

**Memory** | [Crucial - 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133

**Storage** |[-----SIX------] [Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive]

**Case** | [Fractal Design - Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case]

**Power Supply** | [Corsair - 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/f.html?C=...5HSYHWU4YGZDIA&H=ONXX6MXAGPCJESJBZANNWZDP3GMA

John Doe

Guru
consider to use RDIMMs (reg. ECC RAM)

depending on your usecase the CPU could be oversized. just for storage and plex you could use a cheaper one

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
consider to use RDIMMs (reg. ECC RAM)
What? NO! That is horrible advice!

LGA115x platforms do not support RDIMMs or LRDIMMs. DIMMs being registered is a completely orthogonal property to ECC support (though nobody actually makes non-ECC RDIMMs or LRDIMMs).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
What do you intend to use the box for? Because it's sounding like some choices, particularly the CPU, are overkill. And though @John Doe is completely wrong about RDIMMs, you do want ECC RAM.

Stux

MVP
E3-1230v5/6 is a much better value CPU IMO, still has 4c8t

The processor comes with a cooler. You should try it with the default cooler and then decide if you want to step up to ththe Noctua.

Or not. Noctua coolers are awesome :)

Hasn't the R5 replaced the R4 these days? Or are they different cases?

Wow. Platinum PSU. I normally just use the Corsair RMx range in my FreeNAS builds

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with the previous postings above:

1) What is your use case? How much storage do you need and what is it for? This matters to build the system to meet all your needs without spending money you could save or maybe you need to build it bigger if you have grand plans.

2) Most boxed CPUs come with a fan. The fan is generally very good for a NAS application and very quiet so I wouldn't waste any additional money on a CPU fun until you find out you really need it. Remember, this is not a gaming rig.

3) Your CPU selection may be overkill. Checkout my signature, I run much more than FreeNAS on my system.

4) Buy a case which keeps things cool, generally a larger case will help out. I'm not saying the case you selected is bad however the R5 is a better case at keeping things cooler and the R4 isn't even at a cheap price, and if you want even better cooling, something like my case (just an example) give you a lot of air flow.

5) Use the proper ECC RAM. The RAM doesn't need to be the fastest RAM on the planet, FreeNAS will not know the difference. Just ensure it's compatable with the motherboard.

6) While I didn't see anything wrong with the power supply, it is a but overkill for the components. I'd use an ~500 watt unit myself.

John Doe

Guru
uhhh damn sorry was not aware of unsupported reg ecc. on LGA1151

in case it would be a 2011-3 socket, why should i use unbuffered ecc? just for my understanding.

joeschmuck

Old Man
uhhh damn sorry was not aware of unsupported reg ecc. on LGA1151

in case it would be a 2011-3 socket, why should i use unbuffered ecc? just for my understanding.
Here is the bottom line.... You need to purchase compatible components and preferably ECC RAM. We don't care if it's a 2011 or 1151 socket.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
why should i use unbuffered ecc?
Because that's what you need. You don't gain anything from having registers in your DIMMs, except more capacity.

danb35

Hall of Famer
in case it would be a 2011-3 socket, why should i use unbuffered ecc?
I believe most 2011 boards would support registered ECC. As @joeschmuck said, use what's compatible with your CPU and motherboard--the product page for the motherboard should tell you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I believe most 2011 boards would support registered ECC.
Server boards will. Consumer boards might, with a Xeon E5 installed.

tvsjr

Guru
You also need a boot device. You can do a USB stick (STRONGLY recommend 2 in a mirror if you go this way), or just throw a small SSD in it. One SSD is at least one metric assload more reliable than even a pair of USB sticks.

free newbie

Cadet
Thank you everybody. I've been slow to respond as after I posted and then based on the comments I realized the obvious, I didn't define the use case for this build. I don't have that well defined. I would best describe it as home file server, for shared files and for backups. Future use might be to use for media content sharing via plex, but we don't do any of that now and don't know if would be necessary, but I didn't want to have to build a separate server if that became a need. Again, thanks so much for all the feedback.

RickyTerzis

Cadet
Hi..i am a new user here. Most boxed CPUs come with a fan. The fan is generally very good for a NAS application and very quiet so I wouldn't waste any additional money on a CPU fun until you find out you really need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.