First NAS Build, any thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

nioxic

Cadet
Hi,

My first time trying to build a NAS here, so any thoughts and feedback will be much appreciated.

I am considering the following build.
PCpartpicker links

I am planning to use the NAS as the storage location by using RAIDZ2, at the moment only planning to use 6x4TB Seagate but will be expanding it in the future.
In addition, I am planning to run Plex as well. There might be more in the future, but not too sure since I just exposed myself to FreeNAS as well.

Any thoughts in regards to the build? Will it be future-proof as well (in a sense that the system could be left for maybe a few years in this case) or should I just try to pick all new parts again?
Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Inxsible

Guru
Hi,

My first time trying to build a NAS here, so any thoughts and feedback will be much appreciated.

I am considering the following build.
PCpartpicker links

I am planning to use the NAS as the storage location by using RAIDZ2, at the moment only planning to use 6x4TB Seagate but will be expanding it in the future.
In addition, I am planning to run Plex as well. There might be more in the future, but not too sure since I just exposed myself to FreeNAS as well.

Any thoughts in regards to the build? Will it be future-proof as well (in a sense that the system could be left for maybe a few years in this case) or should I just try to pick all new parts again?
Any feedback will be much appreciated.

You don't need the processor graphics for a FreeNAS application. So you might "probably" save money going for a Xeon xxx0 series instead of Xeon xxx5 series.

If you do end up going with X11 series, you should get the X11SSM-F instead of X11SSL. For the differences, look up the X11 thread in the Hardware section.

But if all you want to do is storage and Plex, then I agree with @danb35 that it is overkill. I use a Pentium G3240, for Plex, Transmission, Radarr & CouchPotato. I can run 2 streams or 1 transcode in Plex.

Last edited:

nioxic

Cadet
Thank you for the feedback. I am just wondering in here, can I still use the graphics from the motherboard if I am using the xxx0 series?
I am just wondering whether there will be any benefits with the processor graphics in the future.

I do realize it is quite an overkill (since it is my first time, so I am unsure). I am just trying to future proof it in case I need to use any virtualization or anything else.
Or do you think that this might not be necessary and I should just change my build completely?

Evertb1

Guru
I don't know how it is in your part of the world, but here in the Netherlands CPU's for the LGA1150 platform are becoming sparse. Also ECC DDR3 memory is getting harder to get every day. Something to keep in mind for future expansion. If I would build a complete new rig I would go for the X11 series.

Inxsible

Guru
Last edited:

Stux

MVP
E3-1230 cpu is better bang for buck than the 1275. Still gets you most of the speed, and 4C8T.

Would suggest the x11-SSM, or the CF if you need more than 8 Sata ports.

nioxic

Cadet
E3-1230 cpu is better bang for buck than the 1275. Still gets you most of the speed, and 4C8T.

Would suggest the x11-SSM, or the CF if you need more than 8 Sata ports.
Thank you for your thoughts.
I did modify my parts around to be the following
The only thing I am torn with is just the motherboard. I am thinking whether 8 SATA ports will be sufficient or not since I have read some discussions which mentioned that it is not feasible to boot freenas through USB if I am using this motherboard.
However, not entirely sure as well whether the X11SSL-cf will be worth it since the costs is almost double after the shipping (unfortunately, I live at the bottom part of the world where waterfall is flowing on different directions)

Any thoughts on this?

Stux

MVP
If you don’t mind using up a PCIe slot in future you can add an HBA to connect as many drives as you want.

Inxsible

Guru
I have read some discussions which mentioned that it is not feasible to boot freenas through USB if I am using this motherboard.
Booting via USB is not motherboard dependent other than the fact that your BIOS should support USB booting which almost all BIOSes do these days.

Your case, Define R5, supports a max of 10 drives( 8 + 2) unless you convert the 5.25" using adapters. Are you planning on installing all 10 drives? If not right away, you can choose to buy the PCIE SATA card at a later time.

Last edited:

nioxic

Cadet
If you don’t mind using up a PCIe slot in future you can add an HBA to connect as many drives as you want.
That sounds like a good idea to be honest, I check the PCIe card price and it is not too bad. I don't think I will need the extra space now, but never know in the future.

Booting via USB is not motherboard dependent other than the fact that your BIOS should support USB booting which almost all BIOSes do these days.
Hmmm.. Is it safe to say that the BIOS on X11SSM-F is updated at the moment to enable boot from USB?

On another hindsight, which one is recommended, using USB as the boot device or get another SSD as the boot device as well as for the jail?

danb35

Hall of Famer
get another SSD as the boot device as well as for the jail?
No, that won't work--the boot device is not usable for any other purpose.

Inxsible

Guru
Hmmm.. Is it safe to say that the BIOS on X11SSM-F is updated at the moment to enable boot from USB?
Yes. It might not be the latest available BIOS for that board, but it sure will be able to boot via USB.
On another hindsight, which one is recommended, using USB as the boot device or get another SSD as the boot device as well as for the jail?
SSD, if you have available SATA ports. If not, booting via USB is not bad. I use USB because my board has 6 SATA ports and I am using all of them for my 6 disks in a Fractal Design Node 304 case. I didn't want to buy a PCIE SATA card, just for the boot drive.

Last edited:

nioxic

Cadet
No, that won't work--the boot device is not usable for any other purpose.
Thanks @danb35, dodged a bullet there. So, I should have two SSD, one for boot and the other for jail?

I have another question here, is there any major difference between Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F and Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O?
I just noticed the 'O' notation after paying more attention to it.

Inxsible

Guru
So, I should have two SSD, one for boot and the other for jail?
You can, but you don't have to. You can just put the jails on your tank pool.
I have another question here, is there any major difference between Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F and Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O?
I just noticed the 'O' notation after paying more attention to it.
Bulk Packaging vs Single.
No difference at all

nioxic

Cadet
You can, but you don't have to. You can just put the jails on your tank pool.
That's right, didn't think of that.
Thank you so much for this.

What do you think of the CPU? Should I try to find another cheaper CPU?
I still prefer to use Xeon just in case my needs increase in the future since I like to play with stuff as well, practically just in case situation for me here.

Inxsible

Guru
That's right, didn't think of that.
Thank you so much for this.

What do you think of the CPU? Should I try to find another cheaper CPU?
I still prefer to use Xeon just in case my needs increase in the future since I like to play with stuff as well, practically just in case situation for me here.
Xeon is definitely overkill for what you want to do with it. I use a Pentium G3240 and use Transmission, CouchPotato, Radarr, and Plex. If you want to save money, then look at Pentium G4400.

I like to use my machines to the fullest instead of letting them sit by idly, so I will always advocate using components that satisfy your current requirements and allow routes for small upgrades as your needs change. Others will advise you to have a lot of overkill built in from day 1 even if you don't use it so that you don't have to upgrade at all. The call is yours.

Stux

MVP
1240 is circa 4% faster than 1230. So it’s up to you how much of a premium you want to pay. If it’s a good price, then great.

I’m of the opinion that a Xeon is a great cpu for a plex/jail/FreeNAS box.

I tend towards overkill though (See my builds)

I never understood why people don’t just put their jails on the pool, most of them are not massive transactional enterprise databases.

nioxic

Cadet
Xeon is definitely overkill for what you want to do with it. I use a Pentium G3240 and use Transmission, CouchPotato, Radarr, and Plex. If you want to save money, then look at Pentium G4400.

I like to use my machines to the fullest instead of letting them sit by idly, so I will always advocate using components that satisfy your current requirements and allow routes for small upgrades as your needs change. Others will advise you to have a lot of overkill built in from day 1 even if you don't use it so that you don't have to upgrade at all. The call is yours.
1240 is circa 4% faster than 1230. So it’s up to you how much of a premium you want to pay. If it’s a good price, then great.

I’m of the opinion that a Xeon is a great cpu for a plex/jail/FreeNAS box.

I tend towards overkill though (See my builds)

I never understood why people don’t just put their jails on the pool, most of them are not massive transactional enterprise databases.

Thank you for the input @Stux & @Inxsible. I will stick with my build for now.
I am not planning to build this straight away, waiting until most likely mid next year or early next year.
Planning to utilize the NAS system once I bought my house so that everything can be centralized.

Thank you for the feedback though. I would stick to the build, unless there are something better down the track (kind of doubt it)

Status
Not open for further replies.