Feedback on build

Status
Not open for further replies.

epic0

Cadet
Hi, first time building a serious NAS and was hoping to get some feedback/criticisms.

Here's what I've got so far:

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Memory: Crucial - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Cooler Master - Storm Trooper (Windowed) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Also, I am planning on buying the CPU second hand. Is this generally not a good idea? I've never had a CPU ever fail on me and I suspect that Xeons would be more reliable than typical consumer CPUs. In any case, if it is not advised, I'll buy it new. The saving is about 30-40% off the new price.

Thanks!

Stux

MVP
What are you going to use to boot it?

I guess, if the CPU passes all the tests you throw at it, why not? If the CPU comes with a cooler, you might not need the Noctua, unless you find that either the default cooler doesn't cool enough, or is too loud for your liking.

32GB is a great amount of RAM if you're planning plex and stuff, but you could also start with 16GB if you wanted to and add the second stick later.

Motherboard, Memory, Disks all good.

Case does support up to 15 3.5" drives in the front bays using 5 in 3 adapters.

PSU will be fine for up to about 8 drives. Any more and you'd want a bigger PSU.

You're aware that its a bit difficult to change from say, 4-way RaidZ2 to 6-way, to 8-way at a later date right?

epic0

Cadet
Great to hear that the build is generally okay. Unfortunately, the CPU doesn't include a cooler (second-hand). I was actually considering getting a 16GB stick, as 32 seems like overkill and ECC memory is pricey.

Not certain on making adjustments regarding expanding storage, could you maybe explain the best approach to it? I have currently got about 2TB of data, so I don't imagine I'll be needing to expand for a while.

I was under the impression that I could simply add another vdev to the ZFS pool or is that only used for mirroring, rather than also for expansion?

Edit: For booting, I am going to use an (old, sparingly used) Crucial BX100 250GB SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.