The build I am considering..

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecabbie

Explorer
These 2.5 inch drives are 15mm thick, so they might not fit in every laptop, but they should fit in a NAS just fine and I bet they use less power than a regular 3.5 inch drive. Have a look: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA30R5HW9894
They even have a 5TB model: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822179104
These 2.5 inch drives are 15mm thick, so they might not fit in every laptop, but they should fit in a NAS just fine and I bet they use less power than a regular 3.5 inch drive. Have a look: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA30R5HW9894
They even have a 5TB model: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822179104

Yup accoording to my favorite dutch site (tweakers.nl)
PowerUsage (Read)
1,9W
PowerUsage (Write)
2,1W
PowerUsage (idle)
1,1W

But Seagate..... Not a big fan.
It would be intressting to see how they hold up in nas enveromend i had Seagate baracuda's in my nas they all concistently failed around 1-2 years

Inxsible

Guru
But Seagate..... Not a big fan.
It would be intressting to see how they hold up in nas enveromend i had Seagate baracuda's in my nas they all concistently failed around 1-2 years
That's cause they were Barracudas. Barracudas are desktop grade drives meant to run for about 8 hours a day. You should use drives that are meant to run all day in machines that run all day long.

Agreed, that Seagate did make a junk 3 TB NAS drive rather recently, but that does not mean that they make junk in everything. In fact due to that debacle, Seagate drives tend to be cheaper than the comparable WD drives which is good for people like me who are not married to one brand.

It's something to think about -- especially when you are trying to save money in power consumption. You will save a LOT more money buying pre-owned components. Even the savings between Seagate vs WD, for example might be equivalent to months, probably years, of the savings that you would gain between a 70W idle vs a 80W idle system.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That's cause they were Barracudas. Barracudas are desktop grade drives meant to run for about 8 hours a day. You should use drives that are meant to run all day in machines that run all day long.

Agreed, that Seagate did make a junk 3 TB NAS drive rather recently, but that does not mean that they make junk in everything. In fact due to that debacle, Seagate drives tend to be cheaper than the comparable WD drives which is good for people like me who are not married to one brand.

It's something to think about -- especially when you are trying to save money in power consumption. You will save a LOT more money buying pre-owned components. Even the savings between Seagate vs WD, for example might be equivalent to months, probably years, of the savings that you would gain between a 70W idle vs a 80W idle system.

I got more than 5 years of 24x7 operation out of the Seven oldest Seagate Desktop drives I just replaced in the older of my two NAS systems and I have 12 Seagate Desktop drives running in the younger system for two years now. They might not be as reliable as the Constellation drives, but I have three of the Seagate NAS drives running in the older NAS that I bought as replacements and I don't see enough difference between the Desktop drive and the NAS drive to warrant spending the extra money on the NAS drive. If you buy the Pro series NAS drive, the story might be different.
They renamed the Seagate NAS drive to Iron Wolf, to make is sound more special, but it is the same drive mechanically and after running them side by side in the same NAS for years, I don't see any more value in the NAS drive over the Seagate Desktop drive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Not just NAS drives and not just 3TB either.
Seagate had some problems with the 3TB drives, it has been discussed before, but it is possible with any manufacturer, anyone can have a batch that comes out bad. The Seagate 2TB and 4TB drives have been working great for me.

Inxsible

Guru
Not just NAS drives and not just 3TB either.
Same can be said about any manufacturer. I have had HGST fail on me, WD fail on me, Toshiba fail on me and Seagate fail on me.

Fujitsu is the only one that hasn't failed for me, probably because I have only ever had 1 Fujitsu drive.

Inxsible

Guru
I got more than 5 years of 24x7 operation out of the Seven oldest Seagate Desktop drives I just replaced in the older of my two NAS systems and I have 12 Seagate Desktop drives running in the younger system for two years now. They might not be as reliable as the Constellation drives, but I have three of the Seagate NAS drives running in the older NAS that I bought as replacements and I don't see enough difference between the Desktop drive and the NAS drive to warrant spending the extra money on the NAS drive. If you buy the Pro series NAS drive, the story might be different.
They renamed the Seagate NAS drive to Iron Wolf, to make is sound more special, but it is the same drive mechanically and after running them side by side in the same NAS for years, I don't see any more value in the NAS drive over the Seagate Desktop drive.
You could be right, but I have never tested that.

Also, the NAS drives come with different firmware and I would like to believe that the firmware would dictate the hours of operation and the stability of the drive. As you say the Ironwolf Pros might be a different story, similarly the NAS drives might be better than the Barracudas, it's just that you have been lucky with the desktop grade drives. As long as you have backups, you can be safe with a drive that is confirmed to have errors and bad sectors too.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You could be right, but I have never tested that.

Also, the NAS drives come with different firmware and I would like to believe that the firmware would dictate the hours of operation and the stability of the drive. As you say the Ironwolf Pros might be a different story, similarly the NAS drives might be better than the Barracudas, it's just that you have been lucky with the desktop grade drives. As long as you have backups, you can be safe with a drive that is confirmed to have errors and bad sectors too.
I run SMART long test on the drives every day. No errors.
If you would not believe that without testing it yourself, your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

spacecabbie

Explorer
@All Drives are a sensetive topic :) I have very good experiance with the WD Reds so i'll stick to them (kinda have to I already have them lol)
My expiriance is not based on that instance though of most drives i had failing in the past where Seagate. But as some point out i have also seen WD's fail.
For me its just a gut feeling i gues i do not like seagate i gues i am a bit biased. Still Though https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-stats-q2-2017/ they have the highest fail rate.

spacecabbie

Explorer
IMO you could use a lower power PS, 650w will be far from efficient at low loads.

What would this machine need i might concider using this power supply in my pc and get a new one for the nas.

IMO, and if you don't plan to add more disks a good single rail 450W PSU is more than enough, and it will be more efficient at low loads.

Stux

MVP

spacecabbie

Explorer
Roger i think i am al set to go and order one last question since i have only 8 sata ports what shal i do for boot i see allot of people boot and run from usb sticks but that just sounds dodgy to me but then again putting a sata controller in there just to run a ssd for os.....

Not sure recomendations? if usb is the way to go what specs do the usb stick need to be ?

Inxsible

Guru
Many users here use USB as their boot disks. If you want, use 2 USBs and create a mirror, so that you have some redundancy. USBs are cheap, so if one goes bad, you can replace it in a jiffy and cheaper than a SSD.

Stux

MVP
Dual USBs is probably the best option if you have no spare Sata ports

spacecabbie

Explorer
Many users here use USB as their boot disks. If you want, use 2 USBs and create a mirror, so that you have some redundancy. USBs are cheap, so if one goes bad, you can replace it in a jiffy and cheaper than a SSD.

Dual USBs is probably the best option if you have no spare Sata ports

Righto lads thats a clear answer any particular brand ? What i have come up with googling best bootup flash drives it seems to be Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
16gb should be enough or better go for 32 ?

Intrestingly my motherboard should have usb header on the motherboard so no ugly stick sticking out :)

I Like it :)

One more question since this motherboard has IPMI does that mean i do not need the vga and i can permently disable it on the motherboard or does it still require it for booting ?

Inxsible

Guru
Righto lads thats a clear answer any particular brand ? What i have come up with googling best bootup flash drives it seems to be Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
16gb should be enough or better go for 32 ?
IMO, 16GB is more than sufficient if you are not planning on keeping around multiple versions. I have a 16GB USB and only 746.3MB are in use. I am in fact thinking of replacing them with 8GB drives since I don't intend to keep more than 1 previous version of FreeNAS boot.
Intrestingly my motherboard should have usb header on the motherboard so no ugly stick sticking out :)
However, if a USB fails, you have to open the chassis, which most times means downtime. If the USB is sticking out and if it fails, you go into the UI, degrade the boot pool by offlining the failed USB, go to the physical box, pull the bad one, put in a new one and then online it in the UI and you are done.

I Like it :)

One more question since this motherboard has IPMI does that mean i do not need the vga and i can permently disable it on the motherboard or does it still require it for booting ?
I use IPMI for the entire install, no need for the VGA. But then again, I don't bother disabling VGA either. I just let it be.

Stux

MVP
I use Sandisk Cruiser Fit 3.016GB disks. They don't stick out of the ports much. And they have activity lights, which comes in handy for identifying them.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I would not disable the VGA or even attempt to, the built in video chip on the system board is what renders the video for the IPMI remote display for one thing and in the unlikely event there is some sort of problem where you did need to connect a monitor, you don't want to have disabled it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But then again, I don't bother disabling VGA either.
That's good, because it would disable the BMC's V in iKVM, turning it into an iKM.

Status
Not open for further replies.