The build I am considering..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Could use SoL ;)
Of course. I'm planning to move to SoL as much as possible, by the way, it's just more elegant.

Plus, I despise compression artifacts.

Stux

MVP
Something I'd like to play with

Inxsible

Guru

spacecabbie

Explorer
One Last question.
USB drive's:
Options:
2x SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 32GB Write 129 MB/s Read 43.6 MB/s
Pro no out sticking sticks / dual sticks redundancy / cheap 30 euro.
Con slowest of them all

1x Lexar Jumpdrive P10 USB 3.0 32GB Read 250 MB/s Write 215 MB/s
The fastest overal Usb stick pricey 34 euro just one.

Lexar JumpDrive P20 USB 3.0 64GB Read 289 MB/s Write 200 MB/s
Slightly slower overall but 64gb good for extra swap space ? is there a benifit for bigger ? 39 euro.

2x Lexar JumpDrive P10 USB 3.0 16GB Read 219 MB/s Write 161 MB/s
Slight slower but again dual stick redundancy 50 euro.

I am thinking the 64gb one 1 stick that wil fit the one on the motherboard zo i can plug it in inside the case.
100% uptime is not a must for me zo i can backup to a cloud drive and if it breaks order new one and restore the stick (this is posible i presume?)

So suggestions ? 1 2 3 or 4 ?

Inxsible

Guru
If you have enough RAM, which you should, the boot disk is not going to be accessed much other than at startup. So the speed is irrelevant.

As for the size, I have 16GB usb boot drive and it had used 746.3MB until I updated from 11U2 to 11U3 and now the used space is 1.4GB.

If you plan on keeping around older installations or plan to have multiple versions (for testing or tinkering) then you would need the extra space. Otherwise, even an 8GB would be enough.

Go for the cheapest option -- but a well regarded brand. Don't overthink it too much.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(this is posible i presume?)
Of course. You're heavily encouraged to keep backups of your config file, which can then be easily uploaded to a new install.

diedrichg

Wizard
Of course. You're heavily encouraged to keep backups of your config file, which can then be easily uploaded to a new install.
Is USB 3.0 (finally) officially supported in v11?

Inxsible

Guru
Is USB 3.0 (finally) officially supported in v11?
You are asking this for boot drives? If so would the speed difference matter so much for something that is hardly used after the machine has booted up? and a machine that is supposed to stay up 24/7?

And if you are asking in terms of just support, it's not too difficult to switch off USB3 in the BIOS if your motherboard only has USB3 ports.

Currently I have a USB2 drive in a USB3 port and I haven't switched off USB3 in the BIOS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
Slightly slower overall but 64gb good for extra swap space

Swap is not used on the boot drive.

I would/do go with the cruzer

If cost is a big concern, consider a 16GB cruzer fit, as they're even cheaper.

Or consider two in mirror :)

spacecabbie

Explorer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

spacecabbie

Explorer

diedrichg

Wizard
Its here !
Wil be building on Sunday.
https://ibb.co/nkUVR5
Write the drive serial number on a label on the face of the drive so that you can see it when it's in the case, it'll make it SO much easier to find the failing drive when the time comes.

spacecabbie

Explorer
Write the drive serial number on a label on the face of the drive so that you can see it when it's in the case, it'll make it SO much easier to find the failing drive when the time comes.

Oh good tip but with the drive cage's i bought won't freenas be able to make that drive activity light blink ? (its how it used to work on qnap so sorry if i am saying something stupid here)

diedrichg

Wizard
Oh good tip but with the drive cage's i bought won't freenas be able to make that drive blink ? (its how it used to work on qnap so sorry if i am saying something stupid here)
That would be correct as I JUST read in another post - with dd.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Stux

MVP

For example :
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/#post-401279

index.php

spacecabbie

Explorer
So the system is running still figuring a lot of things out one of the first things i am considering is to run the jails from a second or the same usb stick for performance with unrar and par is this not recommended any experiences with this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.