INSTALL GUIDE: PhotoPrism in a Jail on TrueNAS Core 13.0

nikinp

Contributor
You shouldn’t include the photoprism part in the path. Try /mnt/Nikin_ZFS

I’m assuming you have created a dataset at /mnt/Nikin_ZFS/photoprism?
As per the instructions, it said you didn't need to create the datasets. Instead, that the script will create the directories. I just want to get it up and running first before structuring it fully.

I will change the path part and try again and report back here.

victort

Guru
As per the instructions, it said you didn't need to create the datasets. Instead, that the script will create the directories. I just want to get it up and running first before structuring it fully.

I can change the path part and try again. But I suspect that won't stop it identifying a previous install?
Makes sense. Try with what I suggested as the pool path. Let me know if it works or not.

nikinp

Contributor
Makes sense. Try with what I suggested as the pool path. Let me know if it works or not.
It did work. I can get access to it within the network at http:<<ip>>/2342
But having Caddy errors. Wonder if you can help work out what's wrong?

Attachments

• InkedCapture.jpg
    InkedCapture.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 79

nikinp

Contributor
Yes. So sorry. Another script bug. Try a git pull and run it again.
I re-installed and no error messages on Caddy side. See below.
URL does not get to the webpage. The http:<ip>>:2342 does get there.
What could be the reason for URL not getting to the login page?

nikinp

Contributor
Is caddy running?
service caddy status

root@truenas[/]# service caddy status
caddy does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/etc/ix.rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable
root@truenas[/]#

victort

Guru
if not specified, the login is admin:admin123
The script generates a strong password, saves it in the root directory, and displays it on script completion.

Last edited:

ccdff

Dabbler
I think we need more info. I moved to scale, so I cannot test your script. It looks good though.

Redmist

Cadet
Thank for the guide. Photoprism is working well. The only issue I have is video. I imported a 4K video from my Samsung S20 and it shows the thumbnail but when I try to play it, I just get a few sceconds of stylized static. Does transcoding on demand not work? My server has an Intel QuickSync CPU.

ccdff

Dabbler
Start the index and monitor the logs. Please post them here. But generally it auto-decodes using ffmpg.

nikinp

Contributor

victort

Guru
Are you accessing by domain name? Is your domain name resolving to your jail?
Try ping photoprism.domain.com from your computer and make sure the IP that it goes to is your photoprism jail IP.

I would try to reinstall from scratch, as I have modified the script a bit.
If that doesn't get you up and running, the we will have to look into the caddy logs at /var/log/caddy/caddy.log

nikinp

Contributor
Are you accessing by domain name? Is your domain name resolving to your jail?
Try ping photoprism.domain.com from your computer and make sure the IP that it goes to is your photoprism jail IP.

I would try to reinstall from scratch, as I have modified the script a bit.
If that doesn't get you up and running, the we will have to look into the caddy logs at /var/log/caddy/caddy.log
As suggested. Did fresh install. I don't think that the domain is resolving to the jail. How can we debug that?

victort

Guru
If you ran the ping command using your domain, then it would have shown you which IP it is resolving to. If it is not the correct one, you can change this in your router, or in your computers hosts file.

nikinp

Contributor
If you ran the ping command using your domain, then it would have shown you which IP it is resolving to. If it is not the correct one, you can change this in your router, or in your computers hosts file.
Thanks @victort. I got it up and running, thanks to your script.