TrueNas Core 13.0 - NextCloud? Photoprism?

calcom21

Cadet
Hi All,
New user here. I recently installed TrueNas 13.0. My intention is to have my photos like android phone photo accessing it through my NAS and backup to it rather than paying google cloud for it. From my search on the community forum, I have some doubt and questions which could not find

1. Does NextCloud has photo apps in android i can view (instead of using photoprism)? Or what is the best way just for the above?
2. Seems like nextcloud support Photoprism - should i install nextcloud first then photoprism? or directly onto photoprism?
3. I tried installing photoprism as per below link but encountered few issues
a. https://www.truenas.com/community/t...toprism-in-a-jail-on-truenas-core-13-0.106992
b. Does the link above include able to access remotely (or i need to seperately do it for my photo to view in android phone)?
c. How do i access to mysql prompt in the web gui? Also do i change the pasword as said "CHANGEME" below?
1699388190670.png

d. On the configuring photoprism setup, it said below. Do i need to change any of these parameters to suit my storage pool directory
1699388462762.png

(as per the guide)

1699388423634.png

(my storage pool directory)

e. Also how do i edit the options.yml and where i can find it?

Attachments

• 1699388640440.png
    1699388640440.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 92

victort

Guru
Hi All,
New user here. I recently installed TrueNas 13.0. My intention is to have my photos like android phone photo accessing it through my NAS and backup to it rather than paying google cloud for it. From my search on the community forum, I have some doubt and questions which could not find

1. Does NextCloud has photo apps in android i can view (instead of using photoprism)? Or what is the best way just for the above?
I'm not sure how to link photoprism and nextcloud, but yes, nextcloud does have an app on android to view and auto backup photos.
2. Seems like nextcloud support Photoprism - should i install nextcloud first then photoprism? or directly onto photoprism?
I'm not sure how this would work, unless you mount a dataset to both jails.
3. I tried installing photoprism as per below link but encountered few issues
a. https://www.truenas.com/community/t...toprism-in-a-jail-on-truenas-core-13-0.106992
You can try installing using the script linked to in my signature.
b. Does the link above include able to access remotely (or i need to seperately do it for my photo to view in android phone)?
You should be able to just enter the IP address or domain name and access using your phone.
c. How do i access to mysql prompt in the web gui? Also do i change the pasword as said "CHANGEME" below?
You will have to go into the jail to do that.
View attachment 72178
d. On the configuring photoprism setup, it said below. Do i need to change any of these parameters to suit my storage pool directory
View attachment 72180
(as per the guide)

View attachment 72179
(my storage pool directory)

e. Also how do i edit the options.yml and where i can find it?
In short i would highly suggest checking out my signature. There I have included links to install script that do everything for you once you set up a config file.

calcom21

Cadet
Thanks. Is that. A script? I just run the script that is it? Do I need to reset anything to do have it at fresh start?
I'm not sure how to link photoprism and nextcloud, but yes, nextcloud does have an app on android to view and auto backup photos.

I'm not sure how this would work, unless you mount a dataset to both jails.

You can try installing using the script linked to in my signature.

You should be able to just enter the IP address or domain name and access using your phone.

You will have to go into the jail to do that.

In short i would highly suggest checking out my signature. There I have included links to install script that do everything for you once you set up a config

victort

Guru
Thanks. Is that. A script? I just run the script that is it? Do I need to reset anything to do have it at fresh start?
The instructions are linked to in each script.

Basically, reinstalls are supported on most of them, meaning you can destroy the old jail and just rerun the script.
You do need to create one config file for each script with IP and POOL_PATH info.

calcom21

Cadet
thanks btw, i read through the instruction. Is it a must to have a real domain? i cant seem to find a free domain - and seem like freenom halted any new request? Unless go for a paid version? or is there any other free domain? or do we really need it for photoprism?

1699578650302.png

victort

Guru
This is only if you want to have Let's Encrypt and valid certificates.

You can choose set the install to use NO_CERT to access by IP only.

Or set a hostname like photoprism.local and use SELFSIGNED_CERT

calcom21

Cadet
hi access by IP only - can i still access remotely? or only within home network?

calcom21

Cadet
How does vpn work? Are you referring setup a VPN within the truenas itself? Do you have a guide to share how to set this vpn? Also with this do I still need to open port on my router? If yes is it just on the specific IP address port to open?

victort

Guru
How does vpn work? Are you referring setup a VPN within the truenas itself? Do you have a guide to share how to set this vpn? Also with this do I still need to open port on my router? If yes is it just on the specific IP address port to open?
It is basically a connection back your home network. I would recommend you read and watch content explaining it properly if you don't know what it is.

Same goes for port forwarding.

All that said, you might be better of with SCALE. It appears to be a lot more user friendly, and less technical. It has VPN app, and also apps for photoprism, nextcloud, and a host of other stuff.