How to install PhotoPrism in Jail?

danb35

Hall of Famer
More precisely: I'm not sure what the current replacement to portsnap fetch extract. From what I see on the FreeBSD forum, it looks like git clone --depth 1 https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/ports.git, but that's not quite an official source.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I edited my post - too late obviously. While for src and docs the migration to git is complete the one for ports is not. So currently that leads to the documented (in the handbook) old-fashioned way:
svnlite co https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
or
svnlite co https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/branches/2021Q1 /usr/ports
followed by
cd /usr/ports; svnlite update for subsequent updates.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
The issue with the make config-recursive could be solved by one of two methods:
  • creating an optimal config for them all in a clean jail (the provider of the jail plugin does make config-recursive) then copy the entire /var/ports/db to be extracted later into any fresh jail.
  • creating an /etc/make.conf for the jail which includes lines such as below for every one of the optimal dependencies.
    • Code:
      #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
      # freetype2 config                                      #
      #_______________________________________________________#

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/ports/print/freetype2}
        OPTIONS_UNSET+=DEBUG
        OPTIONS_SET+=V38 V40 TABLE_VALIDATION
      .endif

And possibly a load of general options settings (OPTIONS_UNSET is like "never" it supercedes any OPTION_SET) such as below.
    • Code:
      OPTIONS_UNSET+=WEBENGINE WIIMOTEDEV WIKI_PUBLISHER
      OPTIONS_UNSET+=XBACKLIGHT
      OPTIONS_UNSET+=ZSH
      OPTIONS_SET+=3DNOW 7ZIP
      OPTIONS_SET+=A52 AALIB AAC ALLSTAGES ALSA ANY2DJVU AOM API APNG ARMOR ASM ASS AUDIO AUDIOCD AVAHI

The trouble with both of these solutions, is that port options and dependencies change over time. Sometimes options are added or removed, and an update to installed ports will be triggered if an option is new or revised. Care must be taken to avoid conflicts in any general 'universal' group of options because some ports may have tick boxes while others using the same keyword may have radio buttons. Tick boxes can be any combination or amount, radio buttons can be set for only one of a total. Which method might be best? I lean toward the make.conf configuration which would override any default options for the ports (always make rmconfig-recursive to ensure this), this would be the choice if you were to have mostly custom configurations and your own repo.

If the preference is to always use pkgs from the FreeBSD repo which has all default options set when built, the first method is best as it would simply record that all configurations are chosen.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I could reproduce that too... no soup for us.
There's an open issue that sounds relevant; I posted my failure output there:

It's a very new repo, just over a week old. I'd expect/hope it will improve/change quite a bit over the coming weeks, hopefully in such a way that whatever issue I'm seeing is resolved.

danb35

Hall of Famer
A commit to the repo a few hours ago lets it build for me. Apparently there's a default password I haven't figured out yet, but it's running.

Edit: Once it's all working, looks like it'd be trivial (and documented--good for them on that) to put it behind a Caddy reverse proxy:

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Saw that, but admin/photoprism doesn't work (and admin is given as the default username).
I was thinking more of trying:
sysrc PHOTOPRISM_ADMIN_PASSWORD="photoprism"

I'm just compiling it now, so can't test that yet myself.

Although to be perfectly honest, I don't know if it will be equivalent to the env. variable that docker would pass in on linux.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, yes, I think that would make more sense--but I don't see that the rc file would know what to do with a variable like that. And trying to run photoprism passwd, as recommended in the PhotoPrism docs, didn't work either--it complained about not being able to open the assets directory. Here's what did: First, install sudo in the jail. Next, stop photoprism with service photoprism stop. Then, sudo -u photoprism /usr/local/bin/photoprism --assets-path=/var/photoprism/assets --storage-path=/var/photoprism/storage --originals-path=/var/photoprism/storage/originals --import-path=/var/photoprism/storage/import passwd
Enter a password, then start photoprism again: service photoprism start.

sretalla