INSTALL GUIDE: PhotoPrism in a Jail on TrueNAS Core 13.0

A.saleh

Cadet
For me, mounting the path with the original files as readonly to /mnt/photos/originals solved the problem, so I just have 2 mounts, one for photoprism and one with the original pictures dataset.
How did you mount to Originals folder , i dont see it available in the Jail
For me, mounting the path with the original files as readonly to /mnt/photos/originals solved the problem, so I just have 2 mounts, one for photoprism and one with the original pictures dataset.
would you please advie how did you do it?
i can't add second mount point
and i can't see the originals folder under /mnt/photos

1676058665786.png

AdrianB1

Dabbler
Select the source by navigation, then as a destination navigate to Photoprism/root/mnt/photos and just write /originals at the end; I also mounted it read-only, I don't want Photoprism to be able to touch my original photos.

You can add as many mounts as you want. It is not a second destination, is a new mount.

A.saleh

Cadet
Select the source by navigation, then as a destination navigate to Photoprism/root/mnt/photos and just write /originals at the end; I also mounted it read-only, I don't want Photoprism to be able to touch my original photos.

You can add as many mounts as you want. It is not a second destination, is a new mount.
That didn't work, Jail doesn't start

it throw below error
1676060943579.png

AdrianB1

Dabbler
If that folder where you want to mount does not exist, it makes all the difference in the world. You can use any path as source, but the destination needs to be in /originals OR you need to manually create a subfolder there before mounting.

A.saleh

Cadet
If that folder where you want to mount does not exist, it makes all the difference in the world. You can use any path as source, but the destination needs to be in /originals OR you need to manually create a subfolder there before mounting.
i dont really know how you did it !
i deleted everything and installed new jail
didn't install photoprism yet
i can't mount 2 folders to mnt inside the jail ,
simply the jail doesn't start !

an throw fstab error :no such file or directory
obiously there is something with jail configuration or freeBSD config for mounts that i don't know about

help please otherwise i can't use the photo prism , i have half Tera of photos and now way i'll copy that to originals

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The destination folder inside the jail where you want the mount to occur must exist. If it doesn't, you need to create it manually. By using the shell and the mkdir command. Otherwise the jail won't start.

A.saleh

Cadet
The destination folder inside the jail where you want the mount to occur must exist. If it doesn't, you need to create it manually. By using the shell and the mkdir command. Otherwise the jail won't start.
i tries your method in a new jail , when i create a mount point , i dont see the folder i've created , , but i can see the folder from shell !

am i missing something?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What was the command you typed?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The entire command ...

victort

Guru
You don't actually have to create the directory, you can just specify it in the destination and it will be created for you.
In the destination field just put
Code:
/mnt/myTank/iocage/jails/Photoprism/root/mnt/photos/originals

A.saleh

Cadet
I guess the most common use case is to already have your photos stored somewhere and use it as is, not import it to photoprism - why duplicate a few hundred gigabytes of files?
And I cant find a way to mount my images inside this folder called original, simply the jail won't start

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There's something wrong with the specification of your mount point. Try iocage start jailname in the shell and post the results.

scripsi

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have updated the original Installation Guide post to incorporate everything discussed so far, including NAT configuration, RAW conversion, and how to mount an existing photos dataset into the originals folder.

The updated instructions also show how to add extra startup command line arguments to PhotoPrism. If you have sponsored PhotoPrism to support it's development, this is how you can enable the extra, sponsor-only features.

I have just tested the entire walkthrough and it works. If you're still having problems, try reading through the updated post and see if that gives you a hint. Perhaps even rebuild the jail using the new instructions to see if it works now.

Enjoy!

scripsi

Dabbler
@A.saleh I think I see the issue you're having. When you are mounting your existing photo collection, you won't be able to browse directly to the originals folder because it has been created within another mounted dataset that is inaccessible while the jail is stopped!

For the Destination in the Mount Points dialog, you have to browse to /path/to/jail/mnt/photos and then manually type the extra "/originals" on the end. I've just updated my instructions again to clarify this.

Have a go and see if that works. If you're still having problems, post a reply here and I'll try and help.

A.saleh

Cadet
I've tried your updated method and it works , however , is there a way to add multiple mount points under different folders because I don't want to mount my whole library , just few folders only
thanks