RAIDZ expansion, it's happening ... someday!

Yorick

Wizard
Amazing, it's merged! Another year or so. Then into TrueNAS ... dare I say we'll see it late 2025?

Merged! Thanks @ahrens @don-brady and everybody else who helped on this major new feature!

This feature will be available in the OpenZFS 2.3 release, which is probably about a year out.

Davvo

MVP

asap2go

Patron
Biased dev spotted!
RaidZ expansion is a new feature that should be well tested. I'd suggest pushing it to Scale asap for early test coverage. And afterwards getting it to core. Somewhen in the following decades. At the earliest.

Davvo

MVP
RaidZ expansion is a new feature that should be well tested. I'd suggest pushing it to Scale asap for early test coverage. And afterwards getting it to core. Somewhen in the following decades. At the earliest.
Nah, we CORE users will get it in this decade for sure; it's the WebUI support for it that will make us wait at least a quarter of a century.
Honestly, I'm happy as long as new features come: I'm not concerned about the when, but the if.

Davvo

MVP
I feel like the side jabs regarding the WebUI have increased recently. @winnielinnie where are you when needed?
Senza titolo.jpeg

Arwen

MVP
If RAID-Zx expansion is added to SCALE sooner, rather than later, for charlie testers, it should be added to the Middleware CLI. That way the "new" RAID-Zx column disk is partitioned correctly and the pool uses the correct disk partition path.

But, I am not suggesting it be added to the Web GUI right away. The various testers can be given a Middleware CLI command string example and help. Perhaps even a specific forum thread for that early testing.

Yorick

Wizard
CLI only for CORE confirmed, assuming CORE gets a ZFS with this in it. From the discussion thread.

This feature will involve more middleware and UI changes to support properly, which means it will be targeted at SCALE only. CORE is mostly feature frozen, so we aren't making big sweeping changes to features / backend / front-end. SCALE is where active development resides.

This feature will involve more middleware and UI changes to support properly, which means it will be targeted at SCALE only. CORE is mostly feature frozen, so we aren't making big sweeping changes to features / backend / front-end. SCALE is where active development resides.

To shamelessly borrow from another thread:

feature-requests-for-scale-jpg.71891

feature-requests-for-core-jpg.71892

Davvo

MVP

Whattteva

Wizard

Davvo

MVP
RAID-Z Expansion in CORE is something that, if balanced and done well, will be welcome in the home-use and small/mid-sized office arena.
Won't come in the UI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Won't come in the UI.
I kind of doubt it will ever land in CORE at all, much less in the UI. I'm sure we'll see it in the SCALE UI in due course, but not in Dragonfish.

Arwen

MVP
I vaguely recall that RAID-Zx expansion was due in SCALE 24.10, (aka later this year). Same release as fast de-dup.

And that Core would get the same ZFS version, (after being proven in SCALE), just so that they, (Core / Enterprise users), would also get any bug fixes in ZFS >2.2.2. But, as others have said, it is possible that Core / Enterprise won't have GUI support for RAID-Zx expansion.