qBittorent restarting every 3 minutes

nikkon

Contributor
Hi all,

I have the following situation:
I install qBittorrent App Version:4.6.3, Chart Version: 18.2.0
qbittorent is using OpenVPN as well for the torrents download. Every 3 minuted the container is re-deploying and the download is super slow.
any clue why it is redeploying so often? I can't see anything in the logs.

1708507196591.png

nikkon

Contributor
problem solved. looks like the problem is ram allocation. I used to have 2gb. it's happy with a minimum of 4gb :)

As a non-SCALE user, I'm confused by this. RAM allocation for what? A single "app"? 4GB seems excessive to dedicate exclusively for qBittorrent.

nikkon

Contributor
ram allocation for the container. I'm not sure...actually I am sure is not using all of it, but it fails without
weird :frown:
as well, I only have 1 week on Scale and I can tell you...I miss my bsd nas already :)

ram allocation for the container. I'm not sure...actually I am sure is not using all of it
But does this mean that those 4 GiB of "allocated" RAM will be unavailable for the ZFS ARC and/or the host system?

nikkon

Contributor
i don't know. trying to understand what that means. as this value is defined in the container options

I only have 1 week on Scale and I can tell you...I miss my bsd nas already :)
If (and that's a big "if") I ever begrudgingly migrate to SCALE, I won't even activate an "Apps" pool. and I'll make sure the K3s subsystem never runs. I'd only ever use systemd-nspawn, and treat them like FreeBSD jails.

Reading about SCALE users' experiences on here and Reddit, it seems like the Apps system has "too much going on".

On second read, is it "allocated" RAM or is it a "cap" on RAM, meaning that the app cannot exceed 4GiB?

nikkon

Contributor
this makes sense. thanks
I have ram to spear, however...i like to keep it for better use

Davvo

MVP
You might want to check qBittorrent's RAM allocation value in its own settings other than the container's.

nikkon

Contributor
looking into that already :)

chuck32

Guru
I only use rsync as a single app on my scale systems, the allocation in the app settings for rsync are a cap what can be used. At least there it explicitly said, that it may use less than what is set there.

This would be analog to my experience with virtual machines in scale (what I use mainly), there you also find the info:
Caution: Allocating too much memory can slow the system or prevent VMs from running.
From experience i can tell, not all allocated memory to VMs is actually blocked / used.

But does this mean that those 4 GiB of "allocated" RAM will be unavailable for the ZFS ARC and/or the host system?
It most certainly will interfere with what is available for ARC / host. I was engaged in a thread where a user overcommitted memory and in that case only the VM crashed , not the system (if I recall correctly). As you can see ARC was drastically reduced in size. The image does not show what was left for the host system. My educated guess would be, if you overcommit extremely eventually your OS will crash.

From my limited experience it's not unusual (at least proxmox was similiar iirc), it's the users duty to make sure to not overcommit memory. With that in mind I can handle that behaviour.

If (and that's a big "if") I ever begrudgingly migrate to SCALE, I won't even activate an "Apps" pool. and I'll make sure the K3s subsystem never runs.
On my main machine there are not apps running, maybe they are good but I prefer managing all my containers under an ubuntu VM.

nikkon

Contributor
I just checked. the app is using 3 GB
1708532698552.png

How many simultaneous downloads/uploads are running in your qBittorrent application? I have mine limited to 4 total simultaneous transfers (which rotate automatically) running 24/7. My qBittorrent jail consumes approximately 800 MiB of RAM.

However, I also have an option that limits total memory usage (which requires libtorrent-rasterbar 1.2.x), and I "disabled the O/S cache". These can be found under the "Advanced" options. (Keep in mind that FreeBSD's qbittorrent port is compiled against libtorrent-rasterbar version 1.2.x, whereas almost everywhere else uses 2.0.x. I would assume this is true of the "App", whether official iX or TrueCharts.)

Last edited:

nikkon

Contributor
yes this is from TrueCharts. I need to look into the app. I remember my qbit jail running on 1 or 1.5 gb as well. I'll follow up asap with my findings

Davvo

MVP
Which SCALE version are you running? Latest beta has confimed a memory issue with TrueCharts, with a confirmed fix scheduled as well.

nikkon

Contributor
I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3

truecharts

Guru

Things like these are why we advice users to only refer to official TrueCharts resources and not third party forums or guides.
It's called "resource limits", nowhere is it called "allocated".
Hence it does precisely what is says on the tin: Its a resource consumption limit

nikkon

Contributor
I probably missed this in documentation. now is clear. I think the real issue of my post is the +3gb consumption. I compared the official version and it is using a bit less. good learning. thanks