Pool is offline. i/o failure. don't use sata to pci 1x cards.. Drives are fine.

CookieMonster1

Explorer
Update:

New power supply is installed 850 Watts

2x LSI 9211-8i IT Mode Raid + 2 SAS SFF-8087 to 4x SATA Cable.

This should stop all future i/o failures, I did lose all my data....

The 850 watt, has 12 power cables for all the drives. I have a total of 12 drives so it worked out. Not using any power spitters got rid of them.

Last edited:

CookieMonster1

Explorer
1667246824169.png

1667246843836.png

1667246867303.png

I made sure that I use different sata cards for all drives Pools, same with power and sata cables. If a cable destroys my drives. Trying to think ahead..

On the old power cables none were melted.

The new power supply is 5 years old and not been used very much, was in my main computer. Never had any problems.

Last edited:

Cosmix

Cadet
Start watching your drive’s SMART data to see if the power cycle count keeps increasing even when you don’t turn the pic off. Let’s solve one problem at a time

joeschmuck

Old Man
Start watching your drive’s SMART data to see if the power cycle count keeps increasing even when you don’t turn the pic off. Let’s solve one problem at a time
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Those power cycle counts are not a normal thing. They should completely stop incrementing except for when you actually power off/on the machine.

CookieMonster1

Explorer
I have done my research on Replication Tasks with truenas watched some videos and forums posts. I have run into a problem with the encryption keys. I looked around and didn't see anything about this. Before any Replication Tasks. On my main pool, I use 2 encryption passwords. The main dir and then a sub dir both encrypted with different keys so I need to put both passwords to unlock the data set. Everything's working but this. When starting a Replication Task with the pool and copy everything over to another pool and try restore/ de encrypt it asks for 1 password key not 2 passwords? I tried both keys and nothing work. I thought maybe adding both keys together would work but nope.

I tried with with a new dir/ 2gb file to make I am doing this right and I was. Same thing. I sent about 2 hours playing with it and researching and nothing. Am I missing something. The main Dir has 2 passwords and then to restore it asks for 1 password???

I am trying to backup that 1 year old data to many different pools.
This is on the same local host just for a testing. Backing up 3 different pools just in case for long term storage. Never losing data again!

Will give an update on the health of drives in about 1 week. They have been running 24/7.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry @CookieMonster1 , I do not use encryption nor replication. I just do not have a need for it on the disk level. From my perspective, I'm involved due to your hard drive issues, not the pool encryption issues. Maybe someone else will have some knowledge to share with you but I'd recommend you start a new thread just for the dual encryption and replication problem as this thread is not originally about that, make sure it's a good accurate title so it will pull in the right people. Like "Dual Level Encryption & Replication - Cannot Restore" or something catchy but specific.

Good Luck!

Davvo

MVP
I recall reading that you can't replicate encryption at the root (pool) level, only at the dataset level.
But I might be wrong. Do as Joe suggested.

MrGuvernment

Patron
As you noted how important this data was, I hope now you are actually backing up your data properly, not just storing it all on 1 single NAS. A single NAS, or a single anything is not a backup. 3,2,1 rule!