Atamah

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I recently carried out an update from Freenas to Truenas Core. This has worked so far. However, since then I have a pool offline (Data (System Dataset Pool)

I am using an HPE X3216 server
There are 2 x 4 TB hard drives and a 32 GB USB stick (boot disc) installed.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the offline pool back online?
1705010804186-png.74522

1705010838731-png.74523

I am happy about every help.

i am not new to NAS / Networking, but i am not a software engineer and i prefer Windwos :smile:

thanks guys

Andy

I am using an HPE X3216 server
There are 2 x 4 TB hard drives and a 32 GB USB stick (boot disc) installed.
If the 2 x 4TB drives are being used for the pool "Hauptdisk" and the 32GB stick is being used for the boot-pool, then what would the pool "Data" be comprised of? (Did you rename your pool at one point? Did you try to create a new pool by forcefully using disks from an existing pool?)

The post lacks sufficient context or information needed to offer assistance.

Last edited:

Atamah

Dabbler
If the 2 x 4TB drives are being used for the pool "Hauptdisk" and the 32GB stick is being used for the boot-pool, then what would the pool "Data" be comprised of? (Did you rename your pool at one point? Did you try to create a new pool by forcefully using disks from an existing pool?)

The post lacks sufficient context or information needed to offer assistance.
To be honest, it was too long ago, so I no longer know what the pool stands for or which disk it runs on.
It was created at a time when I was still very new to the Freenas world.
The pool has not been renamed.
What actions can I take to try to get the pool back online?
Would be grateful for a hint.

What actions can I take to try to get the pool back online?
There are no disks associated with that pool. You cannot "bring it back online".

You probably removed the disks without first exporting the pool. So you probably can forcefully export this "ghost" pool to get rid of it from your dashboard.

Atamah

Dabbler
There are no disks associated with that pool. You cannot "bring it back online".

You probably removed the disks without first exporting the pool. So you probably can forcefully export this "ghost" pool to get rid of it from your dashboard.

This hardware config did not change from the beginning. So no disks where removed till now.

may be its really just a ghost pool which was created in the beginning.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't expect anything new to be reveled but what is the output of zpool status

par

Explorer
I recently carried out an update from Freenas to Truenas Core. This has worked so far. However, since then I have a pool offline (Data (System Dataset Pool)
Same exact thing just happened to me after a reboot. I recently updated to TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1, but the issue did not occur until a reboot just now.

I don't expect anything new to be reveled but what is the output of zpool status
For me I am now getting a new alert saying "New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool(s) X". The X pool was storing all of my plugins/jails. Critical alert that Pool X state is OFFLINE. Something definitely seems to be wrong here... I've been using TrueNAS CORE for a long time, have changed nothing in my system recently, so it is too much of a coincidence for me to hit the same critical error as Atamah within a week of each other. Is this a known issue for 13.0-U6.1?

par

Explorer
@winnielinnie I have a system alert which says:

New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool(s) X. Upgrading pools is a one-time process that can prevent rolling the system back to an earlier TrueNAS version. It is recommended to read the TrueNAS release notes and confirm you need the new ZFS feature flags before upgrading a pool.​

zpool status however says this for boot-pool (and does not mention X pool). What is going on here? Confusing.

zpool-status.png

Please post the full output of requested commands as text, not screenshots, cropped or otherwise.

Enclose the output in [code] [/code] tags.

• Haha
Reactions: par

Atamah

Dabbler
Please post the full output of requested commands as text, not screenshots, cropped or otherwise.

Enclose the output in [code] [/code] tags.
where can i type in this command?
since i have Truenas Core, I not able to use the comand line in the gui.

thanks

NugentS

MVP

thanks
of course you can

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is this a known issue for 13.0-U6.1?
I highly doubt this is an issue at all. to be honest with you, I don't recall TrueNAS ever offering to update the zfs feature set on the boot-pool, but then again I don't think (and I could be very wrong) the boot pool has always been ZFS based.

Of course I would advise against updating ANY pool unless you KNOW there is a feature you NEED. So don't do it for any pool. TrueNAS will ask you until you either tell it not to or you tell it to upgrade.

It is not obvious to me that you know what you are doing. The command zpool status can be entered into the GUI Shell. I'm using CORE, here is what data we want you to list within the [code] your text here [/code] brackets.

Code:
MY EXAMPLE

NOT SUPPORTED AND WILL RESULT IN UNDEFINED BEHAVIOR AND MAY
RESULT IN SYSTEM FAILURE.

root@freenas:~ # zpool status
  pool: farm2
 state: ONLINE
status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.
        The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
        the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
        the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 02:52:33 with 0 errors on Thu Dec 28 13:02:36 2023
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        farm2                                           ONLINE       0     0 0
          raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/d0f8a4fe-bf79-11ed-a0df-000c296fd555  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/6528d863-d52f-11e7-ab84-0cc47ab37c5a  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/65b68ce1-d52f-11e7-ab84-0cc47ab37c5a  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/66431f30-d52f-11e7-ab84-0cc47ab37c5a  ONLINE       0     0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.
        The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
        the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
        the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:15 with 0 errors on Sun Jan 21 03:45:15 2024
config:

NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
          da0p2       ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root@freenas:~ #

Atamah

Dabbler
Hi Joeschmuck
I allready disabled the problematic dataset without any problems.

now here is the output of zpool status

root@truenas[~]# zpool status pool: Hauptdisk state: ONLINE status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable. action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support the features. See zpool-features(7) for details. scan: scrub repaired 0B in 21:34:31 with 0 errors on Sun Dec 31 21:34:32 2023 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM Hauptdisk ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 gptid/3d11790c-2436-11ea-a2ae-548028490e2c ONLINE 0 0 0 gptid/3df613ec-2436-11ea-a2ae-548028490e2c ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors pool: freenas-boot state: ONLINE status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable. action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support the features. See zpool-features(7) for details. scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:03:23 with 0 errors on Sat Jan 13 03:48:23 2024 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0 da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors