New server build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredde

Explorer
Various versions of MemTest86 are available for download from the net. They're standalone operating systems that have the sole purpose in life of testing your computer's memory.

Okey cool.

Does it matter if i use memtest86 or memtest86+? Is the only diffrent that one of them is a paying program for full function? (Or how to say)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
They're both fine products. I think there's one that's got a paid version. I don't really remember since I use the one on the shop fileserver. What you want is for something to run a bunch of passes (several days) and ideally to be utilizing all CPU cores at the same time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
memtest86+ is the open-source development of the original memtest86, but it hasn't been updated in years, ECC support was removed in the latest version (and never really worked very well).

memtest86 is now a dubious commercial closed-source thing (I doubt they actually did it the legal way, with a big-ass Chinese Wall, but that's a detail) under heavy and active development, with supposed support for numerous cool features (the best of them hidden in the paid version, which only includes one year of updates).

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hmm, so if memtest86+ is used and it does not support ECC; is it of any real value? I would presume that one would want to be able to validate ECC, especially when it plays such an important role. I understand that the POST would assist with verifying memory (I have all mine set to NOT do a Quick Post, so it does a more thorough process).

Based on this, I would assume then that one should lean more towards using the paid version (memtest86)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I understand that the POST would assist with verifying memory
*"Wouldn't it be good" kind of laugh*

'fraid not. That's as cursory as it gets. It's almost useless. Memtest86+ will properly test the RAM, with several patterns and stuff.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Aha... You said "almost"... So at least I have that to run with.. :D

I understand that the Non-Quick Post does not really run full/thorough testing on the RAM, but for some reason I still choose to err on the side of caution.

Fredde

Explorer
Now im confused! Memtest86+ not supporting ECC? So i should go for memtest86?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
MemTest86+ should be fine, just not ideal, but who wants to spend so much money on a utility that needs annual renewal and you will only use it a few times. That's great if you're building servers all the time but a home user, not so good.

Fredde

Explorer
Okey. Memtest86+ it is!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
*"Wouldn't it be good" kind of laugh*

'fraid not. That's as cursory as it gets. It's almost useless. Memtest86+ will properly test the RAM, with several patterns and stuff.

Funny story, on our recent 1018R builds, we had a memory POST error reported on one DIMM. Further inspection made it appear to be a bad DIMM socket. Made me start to regret buying a preintegrated chassis, since the entire unit would need to be returned. Fortunately it resolved when we pulled and resocketed the CPU.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Funny story, on our recent 1018R builds, we had a memory POST error reported on one DIMM. Further inspection made it appear to be a bad DIMM socket. Made me start to regret buying a preintegrated chassis, since the entire unit would need to be returned. Fortunately it resolved when we pulled and resocketed the CPU.
It seems that most LGA socket issues result in RAM issues. Curiously, I've never heard of PCI-e or the PCH not working due to bent pins.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It gets scary to contemplate how many connections must be perfectly maintained on these modern systems...

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
We need serial RAM... :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
We need serial RAM... :D
2133MT/s, times 72 bits... That's a 153.576Gb/s serial line. I'm sure that's doable in the same fantasy world the Pentium 4's designers were living in.

Bidule0hm

So we also need optical interconnects... :D

More seriously, if we use something like 12 or 16 serial lines then it's doable :)

rogerh

Guru
You can now buy a 100GHz scope, which records 250 gigasamples/second. I presume 8bit samples, but I haven't checked. So I don't think 150Gb/s is totally unreasonable to aim for.

Fredde

Explorer
To be honest i have No f-Word-ing clue on what they are talking about

Bidule0hm

Yeah but in fact it uses 3 analog front-ends with some RF magic to down-convert the 67 and 100 GHz slices, 3x 33 GHz ADCs and some software magic to do the 100 GHz BW. You can't use the same method with RAM :D and the price of that scope...

Last edited:

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Sometimes people go on tangents.

Status
Not open for further replies.