New server build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredde

Explorer
Today my old server died. The motherboard has crashed so, after a couple of months of reading here on this forum and on other forums in My native language i think im ready to step up abit to build a "real" server.

So before i order My new server i want suggestion about My new server.

Here is the list part:

Case: Fractal Design R5 black
PSU: Seasonic S12G-450 450W
PSU Update: SEASONIC Seasonic X-650 80 plus GOLD - 650W (X-650)
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4Ghz socket LGA1150
Mobo: Supermicro X10SL7-F-O
RAM: Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 16GB (2x8GB sticks)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: 8x WD Red 4TB

Im going to boot FreeNAS from a Cruzier FIT 8GB (might have spelled that wrong) and use the SSD for jails and then make jail-backups to my storage pool.

Is this ok or should i change something? I first looked at a Xeon CPU But the realized a Xeon CPU wants power and i wanna save some electricity as it aint cheap nowdays.

Thanks Pheran's on this board for making my life easier when it comes to parts and a brilliant thread with great picture and setup infon!

Happy disscusion!

Edit update:

Updated PSU

Edit Update 2:

Parts are now orderd!

Part list is:

JAIL DISC: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SSD SATA6.0Gbps, 3d V-nand 32 layer,MGX ctrl, 540/520 mb/s R/W (MZ-75E250B)

CPU: INTEL Core i3-4130 3,4Ghz 3M LGA1150 BOX (BX80646I34130)

RAM: CRUCIAL 16GB/ 2x8GB/ 1600MHz DRx8 ECC UDIMM LV (CT2KIT102472BD160B)

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MB MBD-X10SL7-F-O Int. C2xx 32GB USB3.0 (MBD-X10SL7-F-O)

PSU: SEASONIC Seasonic X-650 80 plus GOLD - 650W (X-650)

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN Define R5 Black Pearl Fans:1x 140mm Front, 1x 140mm Bak, Ljuddämpat. mITX, mATX, ATX, USB3.0/ 2.0 (FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK)

OS DISC: SANDISK SSD 32GB 2,5"" (6.3cm) (SD8SBAT-032G-1122)

Total cost without HDD storage: 235.26 US Dollar

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks good.

I first looked at a Xeon CPU But the realized a Xeon CPU wants power and i wanna save some electricity as it aint cheap nowdays.
That's not how it works. CPUs don't constantly draw their TDP's worth of power.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
When you're building and testing, make sure to keep an eye on the hard drive temps. Not familiar with the case, but its specs say it has room for two fans in front. You may want both installed to ensure adequate airflow over both drives. I'm not the best at eyeballing power needs, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to up the PSU wattage a bit. Perhaps go with a SeaSonic G-550

Fredde

Explorer
Thanks andos for feedback.

Perhaps go with a SeaSonic G-550

But that serie Dont have 8 sata ports? How do i connect all My drives then?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Molex to SATA adapters. DO NOT use SATA splitter however.

Fuganater

Patron
But that serie Dont have 8 sata ports? How do i connect all My drives then?

If it is modular just make a custom cable.

tvsjr

Guru
If you must run USB boot devices (vs. installing small SSDs for boot), at least get two and mirror them. When one inexplicably craps out on you, you'll find it worth the extra $10.

Fredde

Explorer
So i should mirror 2 USB's?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
So i should mirror 2 USB's?

Yep, what tvsjr said. Basically when you are installing FreeNas, select/choose both the USB sticks and it will do it all from there.

Fredde

Explorer
Okey, does it mather if i use 2 diffrent sticks? or do they have to be the same brand and size? i guess it matters

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Same size is a good idea. Same brand isn't a good idea.

Fredde

Explorer
So i should not have 2x Cruzier Fit 8gb??

jgreco

Resident Grinch
8GB might be a little small in any case. The theory is that if you have two identical devices that are being exercised in the same manner, they are more likely to experience a failure of the same type in a short timeframe. Getting two different types of device may minimize that effect.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Because of the cost and reliability, and that you are far from using all your SATA ports, you might just purchase a small/cheap SSD as your boot device. They are after all very affordable now, and you really only need one SSD as the boot device, no need for a mirror.

As for the case, I'd purchase at least one additional fan (1000 RPM maximum) to install in the front of the case to ensure all your drives have air flow and remain cool.

Fuganater

Patron

ethereal

Guru
i have the fractal design r5 blackout although i don't use it for freenas - it is my workstation.

the case is very quiet - it comes with two fans - if i was going to use 8 hdd in it i'd definitely add some more fans (there are a lot of different mounting options available)

i am very pleased with the case

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Fredde

You will get some different opinions however it's up to you to pull the trigger on what you want for a boot device. I personally don't feel dual USB flash drives has any real benefit (I think I'm in the minority with that opinion) but a better use is to maintain a backup copy of your FreeNAS configuration file. Also, when I rebuild my FreeNAS, a SSD will become the boot device. The only reason I haven't made the change myself already is because I don't have any available SATA ports yet and either I will be buying an add-on card (the cheapest option), replacing all my drives with larger yet fewer drives (the most expensive option), or buying a new motherboard & CPU (my favorite option).

If you do elect to use a mirrored pair of USB flash drives, use two different manufacturers/models as @jgreco has already stated. I'd personally stay away from ultra small devices as they build up a lot of heat and have no way to get rid of it, just as some USB 3.0 devices build up more heat than USB 2.0 devices.

joeschmuck

Old Man
i have the fractal design r5 blackout although i don't use it for freenas - it is my workstation.

the case is very quiet - it comes with two fans - if i was going to use 8 hdd in it i'd definitely add some more fans (there are a lot of different mounting options available)

i am very pleased with the case
Could you please clarify the comment about the fans... I believe it's one exhaust fan at the rear of the case and one intake fan in the front of the case, and there is room for one more intake fan in the front of the case, well from the few photos I've seen so that is why I ask.

ethereal

Guru
Could you please clarify the comment about the fans... I believe it's one exhaust fan at the rear of the case and one intake fan in the front of the case, and there is room for one more intake fan in the front of the case, well from the few photos I've seen so that is why I ask.
the front fan pulls and the back pushes - there is space for a fan at the front bottom - you can also open up the top ModuVents (three) and add fans there. you can also add fans to the bottom (depending on how many drives you have and how you have your cages configured. the holes allow for 120 mm and 140 mm fans. there is no room at the back for anymore than the one that came with the case. - if you don't need cd/dvd roms you could probably buy or hack something there.

i forgot - there is also a ModuVent on the side panel - m/b side you can add a fan here as well. the web page says there are a total of nine positions available.

Cooling system
  • Front: 2 – 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
  • Rear: 1 – 120/140 mm fan (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
  • Top: 3 - 120/140 mm fan (not included)
  • Bottom: 2 – 120/140 mm fan (not included)
  • Side: 1 – 120/140 mm fan (not included)
  • Fan controller: 3 step fan controller for up to 3 fans
  • Dust filters: Bottom and front intakes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.