BUILD Planned build sanity check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Explorer
Building a FreeNAS server for Plex, and basic usenet/bittorrent management utilities (deluge, etc). Just wanted to double-check that all the parts will work well together and the RAM will be sufficient for my needs.

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLH-F
RAM: 2 X CT102472BD160B (16gb total)
CPU: Xeon 1231V3
PSU: Seasonic G-650 Gold (overkill, but already have it)
Case: Fractal R5

Boot: Dual USB 2.0 sticks (sandisk)

So there's the basic parts. The storage plan is to have 6 X 3TB WD Red drives in RAIDZ2.

Last edited:

Fuganater

Patron
As long as the RAM is listed on the QVL for that board you are good. Everything else looks good.

Fuganater

Patron

TheKiwi

Explorer
I do trust the guy that wrote it but I would still go to SM's website for that board and verify for that exact MN of RAM to be 100% sure.
The exact model is not on the list, but the thread claims the Crucial CT102472BD160B I have is identical to the Micron MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1, which is on the QVL.

Crucial is Micron's consumer brand, and Crucial memory is very easy to find (and can be bought directly from Crucial on their website, at reasonable prices and low or no shipping fees).

Particularly, Crucial has the following DIMM model:

CT102472BD160B (Single DIMM)
CT2KIT102472BD160B (Two DIMMs)

Which turns out to be just a rebrand of Micron's

MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1

(Special thanks to Mynorx for confirming my findings. This post of his includes photographic evidence.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's pretty easy to confirm once you have the RAM in hand. It'll have both the Crucial and the Micron stickers, so you can check both part numbers. If the Micron part number is different, please let me know ASAP. ;)

I do trust the guy that wrote it but I would still go to SM's website for that board and verify for that exact MN of RAM to be 100% sure.
I just checked the QVLs yesterday and updated the guide. Big news is that Micron has since been validated for all popular X10 server boards.

TheKiwi

Explorer
It's pretty easy to confirm once you have the RAM in hand. It'll have both the Crucial and the Micron stickers, so you can check both part numbers. If the Micron part number is different, please let me know ASAP. ;)

I just checked the QVLs yesterday and updated the guide. Big news is that Micron has since been validated for all popular X10 server boards.
I will check! Has there been any people who have actually received other models, or is it more just for safety?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I will check! Has there been any people who have actually received other models, or is it more just for safety?
Nobody has reported anything alarming. It's just a matter of continuing quality control of my guide, don't want to recommend that people do something that screws them over.

TheKiwi

Explorer
Nobody has reported anything alarming. It's just a matter of continuing quality control of my guide, don't want to recommend that people do something that screws them over.
First stick of RAM is here! Micron model number is MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1ZE.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

TheKiwi

Explorer
System has been built! Sadly, shipping was delayed on the CPU, so right now all I can really do is look at the IPMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.