New server build

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yup, I saw that too.

Fredde

Explorer
Does it matter if it is 3gpbs or 6 gpbs on a OS disk?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A 3Gbps SSD will be leaps and bounds faster than any HDD, and extremely faster than most USB thumb drives, except for maybe the stupid expensive high performance ones that cost more than the SSD.

Fredde

Explorer
Another question, but this time it is about cables to Supermicro X10SL7-F-O. what kind of sas/sata cables do i need get 8 hdds up and running? is it regular SATA cables or do i need SAS to SATA?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Quick look at the MB shows that it has plenty of SATA connectors already. So I would think all you would need are SATA cables.

But (there is always a "but"), I am not a SuperMicro owner/officinado so take my reply with a grain of salt...

Fredde

Explorer
so you think that those "SAS2" is standard SATA cables?

Mirfster

SAS/SATA are the same connectors on drives. Only time you will ever see anything different is on the other end where it connects to a RAID or HBA Card, then it could be something like a SFF-8087 (Mini-SAS) or similar.

Fredde

Explorer
Aha okey cool. Thanks for info!

Mirfster

Let me correct myself (before someone else does..)

There is a difference between a SAS and SATA drive. SAS drives do not have a "notch" between the power and data connectors. SATA drives do (so you can plug in separate power and data cables).

However, you are not using SAS drives (8x WD Red 4TB) and as far as the connection to the MB; SATA Cable is the same.

Fredde

Explorer
So, Any sata 6gpbs cable Will do?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Fredde

Explorer
Awesome.

Thanks to everyone who replyed into this thread! I have now put My order from a server part reseller here in sweden. Some of the part was out of stock so i have to wait a few weeks before i get all the parts [emoji26]

I've updated My first post!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just make sure you read the User Guide and if you have any questions dealing with errors or setup, ensure you post your system configuration so no one is guessing and we can provide you a faster more accurate response. Once you get your hardware, I'd update your tagline to include the hardware at a minimum, it saves time.

Fredde

Explorer
Just make sure you read the User Guide and if you have any questions dealing with errors or setup, ensure you post your system configuration so no one is guessing and we can provide you a faster more accurate response. Once you get your hardware, I'd update your tagline to include the hardware at a minimum, it saves time.

I Will do that! I Will update My sig to and put My server info there ;)

I want My stuff now not in 2 weeks lol.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should post your results after the build and also ensure you test your RAM using MemTest86+ or MemTest86, run it for a few days if you can. Read some of the postings about burning in your system before you put some inportant data on it. I'm sure you will be happy with it provided you don't have any DOA hardware. Run Extended Tests on all your hard drives too.

Good Luck.

Fredde

Explorer
This memtest86/86+ is this in the bios on the motherboard or in freenas? I have never ever used this kind of tools before and have No clue what it is for. Think i need to readup a bit before im getting the parts! Thanks for the info!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Various versions of MemTest86 are available for download from the net. They're standalone operating systems that have the sole purpose in life of testing your computer's memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.