BUILD New to FreeNas - Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luiz Vacanti

Cadet
Hi everybody,
This is my first freenas build and I need your advice for this configurations, please.
I'm going to use the freenas for back-up, cloud and Plex transcoding 2 max 3 at same time.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NTvBCJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NTvBCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($251.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.39 @ Directron) - part number - CT2KIT102472BD160B

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $778.22

Later I will be buying either 4 x3t or 4 x4t WD-Red Hard drives for now I will be using some hd's that I have.
Thanks for all your help.

Luiz V

Last edited:
Your first build would be the better of the two by far. The major problem is you are not showing ECC memory. It's very highly recommended by the pro's at iX systems and the people here who have been doing it for a while. You should also look for ram that is on the manufacturer's supported list unless someone else has that ram and already taken the risk. All memory even with the same specs is not the same, Kingston has proven this and is a major crapshoot.

You will still need to pick drives and decide if you are going to do mirrored USB or SSD's of some sort. Remember that if you go the SSD route you will lose the ports that could be available to storage.

Luiz Vacanti

Cadet
Your first build would be the better of the two by far. The major problem is you are not showing ECC memory. It's very highly recommended by the pro's at iX systems and the people here who have been doing it for a while. You should also look for ram that is on the manufacturer's supported list unless someone else has that ram and already taken the risk. All memory even with the same specs is not the same, Kingston has proven this and is a major crapshoot.

You will still need to pick drives and decide if you are going to do mirrored USB or SSD's of some sort. Remember that if you go the SSD route you will lose the ports that could be available to storage.

Thanks I double check and my memory is from Crucial part number - CT2KIT102472BD160B

Status
Not open for further replies.