Upgrading RAM, is there a significant difference between these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donsev

Explorer
Hello,

I currently have a FreeNAS setup that I would like to add RAM to. I noticed that it is currently running at full capacity, so in order to expand my storage my understanding is that I need to expand my RAM as well. The exact memory I have installed right now is the Crucial 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) EUDIMM. Unfortunately the price for that hardware has increased by $70 since I last purchased it. There are two memories I am eyeing right now: one at amazon and the other at BH. Since my motherboard's manual states that the RAM has to be the exact same type for all 4 slots my only concern is whether one of the cheaper options would "match" my current RAM? If I install one of these would my setup be at risk?

My current build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($296.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Supermicro - X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($218.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($179.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Solid Gear - 750W Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1503.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-30 23:59 EDT-0400

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I currently have a FreeNAS setup that I would like to add RAM to. I noticed that it is currently running at full capacity, so
But why do you want to add memory? What are you thinking to gain by doing that?

upload_2018-7-1_0-4-24.png

I have 64GB of RAM and it stays full all the time too. It is kind of normal.

Last edited:

CraigD

Patron
There are two memories I am eyeing right now: one at amazon and the other at BH.

If you need RAM just buy another kit of what you have, you already know it works

The Amazon link RAM is not compatible with your board

Have Fun

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 327

IQless

Contributor
Like @Chris Moore said, are you sure you need more RAM? Are you planning on adding a lot more storage?
You did not specify what you use your FreeNAS box for, is it just storage? are you running jails? VM's?

For just plain storage, you would most likely be more than fine with 16GB of RAM. Remember that the "1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage" is more of a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

If you need RAM just buy another kit of what you have, you already know it works
I second that, if you have something that works, why risk it?

donsev

Explorer
But why do you want to add memory? What are you thinking to gain by doing that?

View attachment 24594

I have 64GB of RAM and it stays full all the time too. It is kind of normal.

Oh, I didn't realize it uses as much RAM as it could. I have 2 (soon to be one) Ubuntu VMs running, would like to have a Windows VM running as well. Couple weeks ago I added a Windows 7 VM and a couple minutes after installing/loading it up the server crashed. This was reproducible. I assumed it was a RAM issue. I would also like to add more storage to my NAS, and according to the 1GB/1TB rule I'm already stretching it.

The Amazon link RAM is not compatible with your board

Have Fun

Ah, that's unfortunate. I was hoping to save the $70 and put it towards new hardware.

Like @Chris Moore said, are you sure you need more RAM? Are you planning on adding a lot more storage?
You did not specify what you use your FreeNAS box for, is it just storage? are you running jails? VM's?

For just plain storage, you would most likely be more than fine with 16GB of RAM. Remember that the "1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage" is more of a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

I second that, if you have something that works, why risk it?

Yes, I would like to add at least 2x3tb more storage and some extra hardware for redundancy. This is my current storage setup and, as luck would have it, Freenas notified me this morning that "/dev/ada3, Self-Test Log error count increased from 0 to 1".

I am also running VMs, although I'm trying to learn jails to increase the stability a bit.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have 2 (soon to be one) Ubuntu VMs running, would like to have a Windows VM running as well. Couple weeks ago I added a Windows 7 VM and a couple minutes after installing/loading it up the server crashed.
OK. If you are doing full OS virtualization, it would be a great thing to increase the RAM. You probably need to max it out.

anmnz

Patron

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Am I reading that wrong, or do you really have 4 disks in RAIDZ-2 and 3 hot spares?
Interesting, I didn't follow the link until you mentioned it.
I would like to add at least 2x3tb more storage and some extra hardware for redundancy.
Freenas notified me this morning that "/dev/ada3, Self-Test Log error count increased from 0 to 1".
It looks like your thoughts on pool design and expansion are not aligned with best practices.
You might benefit from review of this documentation:

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. You can upload images directly to the forum. There is no need to post them somewhere else and then link to them.
Like this:
upload_2018-7-1_11-7-22.png

donsev

Explorer
OK. If you are doing full OS virtualization, it would be a great thing to increase the RAM. You probably need to max it out.

Yeah, I thought so. 32GB is the max for my motherboard. Would you recommend to just go with the same RAM I have currently? Or would one of the other options work as well? That $70 price increase is biting me hard.

Am I reading that wrong, or do you really have 4 disks in RAIDZ-2 and 3 hot spares?
Interesting, I didn't follow the link until you mentioned it.

It looks like your thoughts on pool design and expansion are not aligned with best practices.
You might benefit from review of this documentation:

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Thanks for the information. I read through the slideshow and it reminded me of something I forgot a couple months ago: I was "collecting" spare hard drives in the hopes of creating a second VDev. Since the slideshow recommends all VDevs be the same size, I put the 3 HDs as spares until I can get a fourth to make a proper second VDev. I just noticed that ppt does not mention spare stripes though. Do these spares do anything in terms of redundancy?

PS. You can upload images directly to the forum. There is no need to post them somewhere else and then link to them.
Like this:

Yeah, but imgur is a bit more convenient since I can just "ctrl + V" into it. I can upload images directly from now on if that is preferred here.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I just noticed that ppt does not mention spare stripes though. Do these spares do anything in terms of redundancy?
I don't think it would help you.
but imgur is a bit more convenient since I can just "ctrl + V" into it.
You can do the same into a message on the board. I don't save a file and upload it. I use Chrome and just past into the message inline as I am typing it.

donsev

Explorer
As an update for anyone watching in the future. I decided to just reorder the same RAM I bought last time and swallow the extra $70. Did a memtest and everything is fine. Got another WD Red so now my ZFS looks like this:

pz0segT.png

It's all good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.