BUILD Thoughts on Plex build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick2253

Wizard
What's the hardware you ended up with? Same as the original post?

No beeps in interesting. Any lights on the mobo at all? Do the fans spin up when you hit the power? Any indication that the motherboard is powering on at all?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What does the IPMI log say?

Wolfeman0101

Patron
What's the hardware you ended up with? Same as the original post?

No beeps in interesting. Any lights on the mobo at all? Do the fans spin up when you hit the power? Any indication that the motherboard is powering on at all?
Yeah the CPU fan spins up. The BMC ROM green light blinks and the sometimes I see a flash of red from somewhere on the board. I have the minimal amount plugged into the board. No drives.
What does the IPMI log say?
I can't get into there, it won't even POST.

Nick2253

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Nick2253

Wizard
You can always check your ARP tables to find the IP if you don't want to go poking around your DHCP server. The command on Windows is "arp -a".

Wolfeman0101

Patron
So I realized there was no speaker on the mobo or case so of course no beeps. I picked up a little mobo speaker at Fry's. I power it on and after a few minutes I get 3 beeps a pause and then 3 beeps. I swapped the RAM slots and reseated it but nothing. I plugged the IPMI port into my switch and I see the light's on the port blinking but I don't see it showing up on my ARP table. I wonder if I got a bad mobo or bad RAM.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
IPMI can (and does) work even if there is no CPU or RAM installed.

CheckYourSix

Dabbler
Have you verified that all standoffs are in the correct spots and there are no extras? That can cause a short in the board and result in a dead board and/or no POST. I know it's a simple question, but people have overlooked it before.

ChriZ

Patron
And are you sure that you have plugged all power connectors?
I sometimes forget the cpu 4pin power cable and I always go "duhhh" when I realize it...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And are you sure that you have plugged all power connectors?
I sometimes forget the cpu 4pin power cable and I always go "duhhh" when I realize it...
Happened to me on my very first build.

I still don't know if I exchanged a perfectly good graphics card and I'd forgotten the CPU power, or if I forgot the CPU power only after replacing a defective graphics card. :p

That said, such a scenario leads to no beeps, since the piezo speaker is controlled by the CPU.

Wolfeman0101

Patron
All the standoffs are right and the power is connected. DIMM B on the mobo is bad. I reset the CMOS by removing the battery for 30 seconds and that got it to output VGA and POST. When I have RAM in just DIMM A it boots into the BIOS but DIMM B it just beeps and boot cycles. I'm RMAing today. Thanks for all the tips.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All the standoffs are right and the power is connected. DIMM B on the mobo is bad. I reset the CMOS by removing the battery for 30 seconds and that got it to output VGA and POST. When I have RAM in just DIMM A it boots into the BIOS but DIMM B it just beeps and boot cycles. I'm RMAing today. Thanks for all the tips.
Glad it's diagnosed. Probably a bent pin on the CPU socket.

Wolfeman0101

Patron
Hey Nick2253 did you use the stock CPU fan and heatsink? What CPU temps are you getting and what HDD temps you getting?

Nick2253

Wizard
Stock heatsink for the CPU. CPU temps right around 40C. Peak maybe around 50C in the summer. (Remember that max safe load temps are in the 70s for these processors.)

For hard drives, before modification, I was getting 40-45C (too hot). After modification, 25-30C, which I think is too cold. I've been working on adjusting the fan speeds to try and get the temperature right, with minimum noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.