New server build

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, ideally buy two different brands, but of the same size. Explained above in #13.
Is there really enough difference to be dogmatic either way? I wouldn't think so, personally. As long as you have a backup of the config file, the impact of a total boot volume failure is about 10 minutes of reinstalling plus uploading a config file.

What does matter, if you can't install on both drives at the same time (let's suppose you only have two USB ports available, one for the installer, and the other for the boot device), is to install on the smaller device first. The capacities of USB flash drives are anything but standard, so check the actual capacity of the devices being used and make sure to install on the smaller one first. If you install on the larger one, the web GUI won't let you add the smaller one as a mirror.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is there really enough difference to be dogmatic either way?

Is there really enough difference between EXT3 and ZFS to be dogmatic about your choice of storage platform? After all, it stores bits, and failures are rare. :smile:

But seriously, now, yes, there's a difference. There's no good way to prove how MUCH of a difference one way or another, because it really depends on future failures, and how inconvenient it is to have a failure that takes out your filer, and other factors.

Fredde

Explorer
Okey. So if i change my boot from mirrored USB to single SSD boot (freenas install) is this better or worse?

And IF i go for mirrored USB, can use a USB hubb to connect the USB's and then put them to motherboard?

If this not working i Will go for a single SSD drive(what size? 40gb?)

Then i have 1 SSD for freenas and 1 SSD for jails.

Maybe i should go for SSD and cause i can reinstall freenas without loosing My jails/storage?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In theory the mirrored USB is more reliable as a whole, but that assumes you're willing to sit around with a spare USB device, and take the time to figure out how to replace the failed USB. A single SSD is probably 1/10th as likely to fail as a good quality USB thumb drive, but you only have the one. The SSD is also much faster than most USB thumbs. So you get to pick your poison.

You can absolutely use a very small SSD for the boot. A 32GB SSD would be generously large. So the best thing to do is probably to see if you have an old SSD from ~2010-2012, check the health on it, and then upgrade whatever machine it is currently in to one of the nice new fast SSD's, and use the older SSD for boot. Because it doesn't make sense on a dollars-per-GB ratio to buy a tiny new SSD these days.

Fredde

Explorer
Okey. I think i Will go for mirrored usb. Fast boot time is not Anything i care about. I have time to wait :)

Atm i have 1x8gb Cruzier Fit USB thumb drive. Should i buy another one or should i change brand and siza?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Okey. I think i Will go for mirrored usb. Fast boot time is not Anything i care about. I have time to wait :)

Atm i have 1x8gb Cruzier Fit USB thumb drive. Should i buy another one or should i change brand and siza?

8GB is fine but you'll have to prune old boot environments to keep some free space available for future upgrades.

Fredde

Explorer
Okey. I hate this. Im looking at this one now. KINGSTON SSDNow 60GB V300 SATA3 6,4cm. Maybe i should have this one as a boot device.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
With the low price point of some of the cheaper Sandisk models I don't know why anyone would choose Kingston.

Fredde

Explorer
I looked at sandisk cheaper models most of them has terrible write speed. Dont know if that matters.

mattbbpl

Patron
Okey. I hate this. Im looking at this one now. KINGSTON SSDNow 60GB V300 SATA3 6,4cm. Maybe i should have this one as a boot device.

I'm using one from that line, but only because it was the cheapest one I could find (it was on sale at the time). Write speed only matters in terms of the time it takes to install/update, which is to say that it doesn't really matter at all.

Just find the cheapest SSD with a name you recognize, and you'll be fine.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As I've said before, the cheapest SSD you can fine will be a perfect, size doesn't matter so long as it's 8GB or more, and in a SSD, it's pretty tuff to find an 8GB SSD. Write or read speed is not an issue, both are significantly faster than a USB Flash drive.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I looked at sandisk cheaper models most of them has terrible write speed. Dont know if that matters.

The terrible write speeds of an SSD are an order of magnitude better than the atrocious write speeds of a USB key.

Fredde

Explorer
Okey. I made up My mind. In going to have SSD to freenas.

Fredde

Explorer
I rater buying new stuff. But thanks Mirfster for posting links to potential SSD drive to me! Those looks like they Will fitt into My server!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Fredde

Explorer
Hehe. well freenas knows what it wants. Like a women! [emoji23][emoji23]

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.