BUILD Sanity check on a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vossy

Cadet
Hey folks

I'm looking for a bit of a sanity check on a build I've been working on. It'll be the first real freenas machine I have that isn't an old repurposed desktop. I've done some digging around here, but any advice you could throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

This machine will mostly be used as a central backup for my data as well as media server (with plex) for the rest of the family.

Planned build:
  • Motherboard: Asus P9D-X
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
  • RAM: 32GB (8x4) Kingston KVR16E11/8I (ECC UDIMMS)
  • HDD 6x3TB WD-Red (RAIDZ2)
  • PSU: Antec "EDGE" 550W 80+Gold
  • Case: Unsure yet
Aside from general comments, here are a few specific questions I had:
1) I've heard that kingston RAM has issues, but I'm not really certain what that means. The ram I've selected seems to be compatible with the motherboard, at least according to Asus's website. Also, I understand there's a difference between registered and unbuffered RAM - does it matter? These sticks seem to be supported by the motherboard, so I think I'm on the right track...

2) Will the PSU I've chosen be enough for the hardware here?

3) As long as the case physically houses the hardware I've selected, is there any benefit between one and the next?

Many thanks in advance!

danb35

Hall of Famer
In your "digging around here," I guess you haven't found the hardware recommendations thread yet. Hint: it's one of the stickies in this forum.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey folks

I'm looking for a bit of a sanity check on a build I've been working on. It'll be the first real freenas machine I have that isn't an old repurposed desktop. I've done some digging around here, but any advice you could throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

This machine will mostly be used as a central backup for my data as well as media server (with plex) for the rest of the family.

Planned build:
  • Motherboard: Asus P9D-X
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
  • RAM: 32GB (8x4) Kingston KVR16E11/8I (ECC UDIMMS)
  • HDD 6x3TB WD-Red (RAIDZ2)
  • PSU: Antec "EDGE" 550W 80+Gold
  • Case: Unsure yet
Aside from general comments, here are a few specific questions I had:
1) I've heard that kingston RAM has issues, but I'm not really certain what that means. The ram I've selected seems to be compatible with the motherboard, at least according to Asus's website. Also, I understand there's a difference between registered and unbuffered RAM - does it matter? These sticks seem to be supported by the motherboard, so I think I'm on the right track...

2) Will the PSU I've chosen be enough for the hardware here?

3) As long as the case physically houses the hardware I've selected, is there any benefit between one and the next?

Many thanks in advance!

Get a Supermicro X10 board instead. They're better and cheaper. There's a sticky for choosing one.
Kingston RAM is a very poor choice, as described in the Supermicro X10 RAM sticky. Also, Unbuffered and Registered DIMMs are not compatible. Use what the board requires. Since this is a Xeon E3, that means Unbuffered.

Get a Seasonic G-550 instead. It's the same platform, but it's probably cheaper and it has a better fan.

As for the case, make sure it's sturdy and has good cooling for the hard drives and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.