Build Sanity Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorfiusX

Dabbler
Hi,

I am working to rebuild my FreeNAS system. My current build is pretty much a media storage system. I am currently using:
  • ASUS E35M1-I
  • 8GB RAM (Non-ECC)
  • 6 x Western Digital Red 2TB (RAID Z2)
  • Antec 300 Case
I am rebuilding to use as an iSCSI target for a VMware lab (for VCAP/VCDX). My goals for the rebuild are to use ECC RAM, increase RAM, and increase expandability (PCI/E slots). I will be migrating the ZPool to the new system
I don't need a lot of horsepower as I won't be using compression or dedup. Here is what I was thinking:
I considered a SuperMicro/Opteron combination, but would like to save a few bucks if possible. A sanity check would be much appreciated!
TIA!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Total crap.

A PCIe x16, a PCIe x1, and Realtek Ethernet? On an AMD board? That was clearly meant as a cheap PC mainboard? Really? See that sticky at the top of this forum? It was WRITTEN FOR YOUR BENEFIT. Please. Read it. Dear lord.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
wow... disgusting build. No redeeming qualities.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Excuse me? 32GB of RAM is not a redeeming quality? A 4U rackmount with 12 hot swap trays is not a redeeming quality?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That case is not a very good quality case.. he'll find out when he gets it built.

RAM is interchangeable.. there's no "committment" involved with that RAM.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not having laid hands on it, I can only judge the chassis by the Newegg reviews. Usually they'd be more savage than four stars if it was total crap, and the one star review struck me more as a "it was probably dropped in shipping" type issue.

You're not going to get an awesome case for $200 but it seems like it'd be reasonable for a home lab. It would appear to have good airflow around the hotswap trays, so it addresses my largest concern.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You want a sanity check, or were you just looking to have sunshine blown?

I apologize for the terseness, but basically I wrote a very long sticky designed to help people not make mistakes. I lack the time these days to individualize. So you got the quick tough critique and a pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.