Migrate from Xigmanas to TrueNAS

lgriffo

Cadet
I’m looking for any advice on the process of exporting and importing my ZFS pool from Xigmanas to TrueNAS. I’m not familiar with TrueNAS at all and my knowledge of Xigmanas is limited at best.

What I’ve done so far:
  • Upgraded my motherboard to the Supermicro A2 in my signature.
  • Managed to save the Xigmanas config on my old system, reinstall Xigmanas on the new system and load my config, successfully I think.
  • System now seems to boot Xigmanas successfully.
What I want to do:
  • Export my ZFS pool and all data from Xigmanas in preparation for import into TrueNAS.
  • Import pool into TrueNAS.
  • Setup system properly so I actually use it this time. (Mainly for backups of other systems, photos, devices, storage of media, and remote file access with nextcloud or similar. That’s all I can think of at the moment.)
Can anyone help with the step by step process of the export and import of my pool or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

Edit:
I may have succeeded, at least mostly.

I exported the pool using the Xigmanas GUI and then imported it using the TrueNAS GUI and I think all is well.

Just need to sort out the network side of things and hopefully it's up and running.

Last edited:

rappel

Dabbler
I was looking for help on this topic and there aren't many threads around so...

How did it go in the end and what was your step list and any gotchas?

... I have about 60TB and while I will back up critical stuff I'd like to see if I can move the ZFS structure over intact as it will save rather a lot of days!

so for me the question is how to do this and when you do the import does TrueNAS do anything like upgrade ZFS at all without asking - 'cos if something doesn't quite work I'd like to be able to go back to Xigma so that I can do the long winded copy off and then back on after migration.

Thanks.

Why go to the trouble?

I have a XigmaNAS system that I'd like to move to TrueNAS Scale. Basically I know some about Linux and bugger all about FreeBSD and while XigmaNAS has served me well for 3 years as I've done nothing to it and it's just run, there are a few things that need some adjusting as the server is real old.
I want to move to a single server that I can use for VMs containers etc - basically to reduce the power consumption of all the larger 8 - 10 year old boxes I've repurposed here. With UK electric charges as they are I'm spending a small fortune on running them and 90% can go into one box with various virtualisation options. I figure it's going to be easier for me in the long term to use Scale.

Davvo

MVP
As far as ZFS is concerned I don't think it should be a problem. I suggest moving first to CORE then to SCALE. IF you want to virtualize please read the follwoing resource.

rappel

Dabbler
Interesting suggestion. thanks.

To be clear I meant virtualise or containerise everything else but not the TrueNAS side. I believe that sort of virtual capability is there with Scale in charge.

Davvo

MVP

Stux

MVP
Forgetting about everything else, it should just be a matter of exporting your zfs pool (a bit like unmounting). Then importing the same zfs pool when running TrueNAS.

Setting mount points etc is left as an exercise for the reader ;)

lgriffo

Cadet
As others have eluded to, I exported the pool in Xigma then imported the pool into TrueNAS.

It all went well for me. It's still an overall work in progress and has gone slowly due to other life commitments but I'm getting there slowly.