Xigmanas 11.2 to FreeNas/TrueNas

szdravkov

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I'd like to ask if anyone was able to do successful migration from XigmaNas to FreeNas or even TrueNas.
As both are using OpenZFS, in theory export/import of ZFS pool should work. However doesn't hurt if asking :).
I tried with googling but without success, looks like it's not a frequent upgrade path.

Reason for this question is terrible performance between Citrix Xen (7.6) using LVM Storage Repository on top of ISCSI LUN presented from XigmaNas.
XigmaNas is on version 11.2, as update is required, I've decided to check if migration is also an option.
There is a lot more info about FreeNas in the web than XigmaNas, so in case of future problems, resolution might come faster :).

Best Regards

Wsee

Cadet
Did you ever get an answer to this. I am looking at going from Xigmanas to Freenas.

Thanks

MisterE2002

Patron
the zfs versies matters the most i think. But you can try to simulate it. Install XigmaNas in a VM, also create something like a pool with some virtual disks. Afterwards install TrueNAS and import the pool

artlessknave

Wizard
you need truenas to be the same zfs version or higher as your pool, and support the same feature flags you are using
from what I can find, "Version" is no longer a thing, only feature flags.

Code:
zpool get all | grep feature

it looks like the versions follow freebsd, so xigma 12 should be the same zfs as truneas 12, both being freebsd 12, which should (TM) mean that truenas 13 can import xigma 12 or 13.

Wsee

Cadet
I am a rookie in the Truenas world. I do have of the mostly same computers - one with Xignams that I have run for years and 1 with Truenas that I just installed. I was hoping that I could just import them into Truenas.
you need truenas to be the same zfs version or higher as your pool, and support the same feature flags you are using
from what I can find, "Version" is no longer a thing, only feature flags.

Code:
zpool get all | grep feature

it looks like the versions follow freebsd, so xigma 12 should be the same zfs as truneas 12, both being freebsd 12, which should (TM) mean that truenas 13 can import xigma 12 or 13.
Thanks so much for this. I will try to give it a try hopefully within the next week or so.

Thanks again

Wsee

Cadet
This is what i get from that command

$ zpool get all | grep feature
Xigmanas feature@async_destroy enabled local
Xigmanas feature@empty_bpobj active local
Xigmanas feature@lz4_compress active local
Xigmanas feature@multi_vdev_crash_dump enabled local
Xigmanas feature@spacemap_histogram active local
Xigmanas feature@enabled_txg active local
Xigmanas feature@hole_birth active local
Xigmanas feature@extensible_dataset enabled local
Xigmanas feature@embedded_data active local
Xigmanas feature@bookmarks enabled local
Xigmanas feature@filesystem_limits enabled local
Xigmanas feature@large_blocks enabled local
Xigmanas feature@large_dnode disabled local
Xigmanas feature@sha512 enabled local
Xigmanas feature@skein enabled local
Xigmanas feature@device_removal enabled local
Xigmanas feature@obsolete_counts enabled local
Xigmanas feature@zpool_checkpoint enabled local
Xigmanas feature@spacemap_v2 disabled local
Xigmanas feature@allocation_classes disabled local

artlessknave

Wizard
I believe you can just import it. you can just move the disks and try, it wont hurt anything if it cant, it will just tell you it cant import it.
you also should be following the forum rules, specifically, the system specs for the 2 systems you are talking about.
xigmaNAS might be more forgiving about your hardware choices.