Long Term Monitoring of TrueNAS Drives in particular

NugentS

MVP
I was wondering if anyone here had any advice for me - I am branching out into unfamiliar territory (or rather trying to) and getting confused by the options.

TrueNAS produces a whole bunch of stats in the reporting pages - which are great - just not very useable in that if I want to look at drive temp for each drive, over time (which is my goal) I have to click lots of times to get any info at all. It also seems to go back only 6 months - and I am looking for a full year, preferably on one page in a view that I can just look at from time to time.

What I would like:
Primarily: to be able to see the drive temps over time, for the last year (and I have 24 or so drives) with a decent granularity so I can look at a chart by the second (maybe a minute minimum would be better), minute, 10 mins, hours, days, weeks, months etc and hopefully see all the drives with the ability to then drill down and look at "problem" drives if I have any.
Secondary: to see how SMART stats on the drives change over time. So chart chosen stats somehow so I can see thing like load/unload cycles increasing (or not) over time.
[As you can see its mostly about drives - I am not so concerned about the rest of the NAS (CPU/Memory/Network) although the ability to add stuff later on is good]

Would anyone care to point me in the right direction as I am struggling to see where to start.

Graphite / Graphana - which is likley to do what I am looking for, simply?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Would anyone care to point me in the right direction as I am struggling to see where to start.

Graphite / Graphana - which is likley to do what I am looking for, simply?
I have incorporated/supplemented my fan script with a disk temperature logging script that pushes data to influx for grafana...

For my SSDs (since I don't have them monitored by the fan control script), I run this via a cron task every 5 minutes.

That script is for CORE, but I have updated most (if not all) of the modules for SCALE as well in the fan script:

If you're suitably motivated, you could probably use that code to update the temps script.

If that's something you're not able to do, but really want it, I might find the time to help out.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The collectd in TrueNAS CORE got some feature improvements by iXsystems, so it reports CPU temperatures, HDD/SSD temperatures and a bunch of other stuff. Pretty easy to connect to influxdb and Grafana running in a jail.

NugentS

MVP
@Patrick M. Hausen - except I am on Scale - and want to use Containers, either directly on TrueNAS or preferably on a seperate docker host as I try to avoid Truecharts for a number of reasons. Grafana itself is easy enough to install on TN K3S or a seperate docker host. But there are 100's of different options

As I understand things I need to configure 3 things as:
TN -> collector/logging app -> Grafana

Grafana is "simply" a display program - it takes data from the collector. The collector is a completely seperate app that TN logs to.

Under reports config TN says "Remote Graphite Server Hostname". Implying I should be using graphite which (at least in the container I have found seems to include a collector - graphiteapp/graphite-statsd). Although I think that TN uses graphite as that doesn't work for me in what I want to see

Googling seems to imply (as @Patrick M. Hausen also implied) that a popular route is influxdb as the "collector" and grafana as the graphing app.

I am suffering from information overload / decision paralysis

So suggestion:
1. Install grafana. (grafana/grafana-oss:main)
2. Install influxdb container (influxdb:latest)
3. Point TN at the influxdb
4. Point grafana at influxdb. Configure display
5. See what happens, (presumably nothing as I will be missing something obvious)

Does that sound at least moderatly sensible

@sretalla - thank you - I may take you up on that later - but I think I am missing some obvious bits first

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
  • Collector: telegraf or collectd - collects and sends data to a
  • Time series database: graphite or influxdb (has a graphite compatible ingest connector) - which is then used as a data source by an
  • Analytics and display program: grafana

NugentS

MVP
collectd is provided by TN is it not?
Is that not the bit configured by:
1675202327519.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Precisely. I was only referring to the fact that it is not the only source of metrics existing. And for some reason iX have decided to use the graphite plain text format exclusively. So you need to define a graphite plain text connector in influx. Because influx is much more convenient and manageable than graphite. Unfortunately there is no port of the 2.x branch to FreeBSD, yet. But that is not your concern if you are using SCALE.

"Graphite separate instances" is useful, just trust me and activate it - you will have a way easier life when building your graphs in grafana.

Just like Elastic, Logstash and Kibana make the "ELK" stack, Telegraf, Influx and Grafana are considered one stack of related tools. But using the builtin collectd works great, too.

And last: the graphite plain text format is dead easy to generate. So if you want a widget of your current zpool usage, you can use a script like this:
https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ation-in-grafana-influxdb.102139/#post-705943
https://www.truenas.com/community/t...in-grafana-influxdb.102139/page-2#post-706459

Or shove any metric you are interested in into influx that way.

NugentS

MVP
OK - I figure I am being dumb here
Step 1 - Create influxdb container - tick
Step 2 - login to influxdb - using http://192.168.38.189:8086 - this brings up a nice colourful window
Step 3 - Point TN Graphite Server to http://192.168.38.189:8086 - this might need to be just the IP address or without the http:// - assume a tick for the moment - might need to change

Now @Patrick M. Hausen implies I need to define a "graphite plain text connector in influx". I assume so that influx knows that I am trying to send it something and the format it will be in. The logical place seems to be "source" - but nothing springs out at me. I can upload a file (clearly "no"), or I can use a client library or a telegraf plugin (which would also seem like "no")

Something seems wrong / not obvious - there seem to be a lot of changes in influxdb recently - such that old docs seem non-relavent now

Docker-compose - just for reference
Code:
  influxdb:
    image: influxdb:2.6.1
    container_name: influxdb
    restart: always
    environment:
      - INFLUXDB_DB=influx
      - INFLUXDB_ADMIN_USER=xxxxx
      - INFLUXDB_ADMIN_PASSWORD=xxxxx
      - reporting-disabled
    ports:
      - 8086:8086
    volumes:
      - influxdb_data:/var/lib/influxdb2

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
To configure this graphite plain text compatible connector for influx you need to get something like this into influxd.conf:
Code:
[[graphite]]
  enabled = true
  database = "graphite"
  retention-policy = ""
  bind-address = ":2003"
  protocol = "tcp"
  consistency-level = "one"

separator = "."

templates = [
    "servers.* .hostname.resource.instance.measurement*",
  ]

"database" is just a name - this is the DB you reference in grafana afterwards. "templates" tells influx what to name the individual fields sent by TrueNAS.

For example with the template I use you will end up with a DB entry like:
Code:
temperature,hostname=freenas2_ettlingen_hausen_com,instance=ada0,resource=disktemp

So you can query in InfluxQL like (in English) "give me the 'temperature' measurement for the host freenas2_..., resource disktemp, instance ada0".
I could have named the parts "foo, bar, baz" instead of "hostname, instance, resource" and you would query for that. It's just names but it is your job to come up with a scheme that makes sense to you.

What TrueNAS sends via collectd looks like in plain text "servers.freenas2_ettlingen_hausen_com.disktemp.ada0.temperature <measurement> <timestamp>".
The template tells influx how to cut that into pieces.

That's how you build your widgets in grafana.

How you get this config snippet into the influx configuration in the context of a Docker/Helm deployment is way beyond my knowledge and one of the very reasons why I prefer jails over everything else. Config file in documented location, edit, test, done. Deploy with Ansible. Double done.

HTH,
Patrick

NugentS

MVP
And influxd.conf is not where other searches say it is. More googling I think

NugentS

MVP
Currently I am bouncing off this. However according to the roadmap the TrueNAS reporting ecosystem will change soon - so I am going to put a stop to this particular project for the moment and wait for the changes and then try again. Meanwhile research continues - slowly

I have incorporated/supplemented my fan script with a disk temperature logging script that pushes data to influx for grafana...

For my SSDs (since I don't have them monitored by the fan control script), I run this via a cron task every 5 minutes.

That script is for CORE, but I have updated most (if not all) of the modules for SCALE as well in the fan script:

If you're suitably motivated, you could probably use that code to update the temps script.

If that's something you're not able to do, but really want it, I might find the time to help out.
Did you actually ran that on SCALE? Because you didn't change the paths for ipmitool to the according default path on SCALE.
And running it throws lots of syntax and math errors.

NugentS

MVP
@sretalla Which version of influx are you talking about - there seems to be major changes in the latest version that means (from a TN PoV) its now TN -> Telegraf -> Influx -> Grafana. I think

[Edit - not to now]

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I realize that it doesn't tick all boxes, but wanted to mention that something similar can be achieved with @joeschmuck 's wonderful script.

NugentS

MVP
I use that script (even have a credit) but its not something I can look at whenever I feel like it to see the temps.
My NAS is in my garage, and it can get a bit warm in there

sretalla