FreeNAS datastore(s) becoming inaccessible during/after heavy load

SubnetMask

Contributor
I've been having an issue occasionally for a while where after or during heavy writes, one or more FreeNAS pools become inaccessible. Typically, the only time I've seen it is in the few instances where I've had a power failure and I'm trying to suspend a bunch of VMs before my UPS gives out, but during the suspend of the machines, it ends up grinding to a halt and everything crashes anyway. Fast forward, earlier this week, I was migrating a powered off machines storage from two points on one datastore to a single point on another datastore, and this same 'crash' occurred. Once I got everything back up, I built a second FreeNAS machine running FreeNAS 11.1u7 on a Poweredge R620 with 224GB of RAM, connected to a Supermicro JBOD (my main FreeNas is a Poweredge FC630 with 256GB RAM and a Xeon E5-2699v3 running 11.1u7) connected to two Supermicro JBODs, on which I then created two pools consisting of two striped mirrors each in order to do some testing. I moved a number of 'unimportant' machines over to the new FreeNAS to test with, and after doing so, I let it sit for a while, then I set VMWare to move the disks for all 11 machines from one datastore on the test FreeNAS to the other. It ended up doing the same 'crash', and this time, I noticed that on one interface, VMWare was reporting five devices/five paths, but the other interface was reporting 3/3 (neither datastore on the test FreeNAS was available on one interface). I was also unable to browse the datastores on the test FreeNAS. I also found a lot of datastore errors in VMWare indicating path failure and datastore inaccessible and thought maybe it's VMWare, so I rebooted the VMWare host. After that, it was showing 5/5, but I got sidetracked to another task.

After I finished up what I had to do and came back to this, I noticed that I still couldn't browse the datastores, despite VMWare saying all paths were up. I then took my second host out of maintenance mode, and found that it didn't start balancing the VM load like usual. So I rebooted the Test FreeNAS machine, and as soon as it went down, VMs started migrating between hosts like normal, and once the test FreeNAS machine came back up, the datastores were fully accessible again. So it seems like it's actually FreeNAS that's having issues and that was causing the VMWare hosts to hang some functions, most notably, vMotion.

My first thought was that maybe the 'tunalbes' that are in place could have had something to do with the issues (they are autotune entries, quite possibly from as far back as when I was running FreeNAS on a R710), but there are no tunables in place on the test machine, so that likely rules that out. I then found this thread when starting my thread, where overall, while I haven't dug in to look for the errors that poser found, the symptoms seem nearly identical. In his case, he was running 11.1u4 and apparently, adding a SLOG fixed it. So I'm not sure if my issue is the same as that posters, but it seems possible. While adding a SLOG is probably not a bad idea, one would think that once it got to a point where it ran out of cache, the data transfer would slow down, not crash.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Is any other info needed?

Arwen

MVP
No, sorry, I don't have any suggestions other than to ask for clarification on your setup.

You are using bare metal FreeNAS, correct?
The VMWare hosts are separate computers, correct?
You are connecting the VMWare VMs to space on FreeNAS, correct?

What is used on FreeNAS for the VM storage, zVols via iSCSI or files via NFS?

Perhaps someone else, (with some or all of my questions answered), can help.

SubnetMask

Contributor
No, sorry, I don't have any suggestions other than to ask for clarification on your setup.

You are using bare metal FreeNAS, correct? - Absolutely - running on a Poweredge FC630
The VMWare hosts are separate computers, correct? - Absolutely - two other Poweredge FC630's
You are connecting the VMWare VMs to space on FreeNAS, correct? - The FreeNAS zvol volumes are presented to the VMWare hosts via iSCSI

What is used on FreeNAS for the VM storage, zVols via iSCSI or files via NFS? - zvols presented to VMWare by way of iSCSI

Perhaps someone else, (with some or all of my questions answered), can help.

SubnetMask

Contributor
So I think I may have some sort of 'high level' idea of what's going on here.

So my main VMware pool is a ten disk pool - What I believe FreeNAS would call stiped mirrors (in 'traditional speak', RAID10). Anyway, on that pool, I have two ZVols, VMWare1 and VMWare2 as VMWare volumes. That's where I first encountered this issue.

I then set up a second FreeNAS machine running the same version (11.1u7), and started doing some testing. Initially, I wasn't a methodical as I should have been, so moving past that, I had set up a striped mirror consisting of a total of four disks, and a second duplicate, both of which were provisioned to VWare as 'FreeNAS2-1' and 'FreeNAS2-2', for demonstration purposes. I proceeded to move a dozen VMs to one of the volumes, and from there, storage vMotioned all dozen back and forth, in the same batch, as many as VMWare would do at one time (I didn't pay attention to how many it would move at once, but it was more than two or three). Doing this, they vMotioned back and forth without issue in my testing, many times - in every case, I was selecting all twelve machines. It never blew up.

Then I rebuilt them to more closely mirror my actual setup - the real setup, again, is ten disks in striped mirrors type config with two zVols on it - The 'replica' was eight disks in a similar config (one eight disk striped mirror pool), and after I set that up and moved three VMs to it, that went fine.... but then I did a storage vMotion from one datastore (ZVol) to the other in the same disk pool and roughly 10 minutes in it blew up. Same symptoms. It hasn't been consistent when it'll blow up, as this morning, it blew up with the first attempt to vmotion the machines, but by this afternoon, it did blow up again, but after quire a few storage vMotions (and various lengths in between) - that was probably the third or fourth time today it blew up. While the 'when it would blow up' has been inconsistent, the fact is, in my testing, it would eventually blow up. I was rather surprised at how many moves it took for the latest one after the first one blowing up ten minutes in... It took quite a few attempts before it finally blew up this last time, but it happened.

So based on my testing, it seems like this issue, at least in my case, it has something to do with having a single pool with multiple zvols on it, and high R/W I/O between the two zVols. I can't say I've seen anything remotely similar with my Z3 volume - but, outside 'rare' circumstances, it only sees run of the mill file and/or video data stored. Nothing to write home about.

So that brings me to a question I've been thinking about: is it better, performance wise, to have a single eight disk RAID10 (I apologize, just using the simplest nomenclature) consisting of, say eight or ten disks in a pool, and then two zvols on said RAID10 pool, or having two RAID10 pools consisting of four disks each, each with tis own zvol? while 'traditional logic' suggests that the more spindles you have in a RAID array/pool/etc, the better off you'll be, but my testing seems to suggest that trying to read from one zvol and write to another in the same pool in any 'semi high quantity', doesn't end well.

Any thoughts?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If your aim is to have things moving from one place to another, there's probably benefit to having those 2 places not using the same "pool" of IOPS to do the work, so 2 separate pools will put a clear line of demarcation between the "reader" and the "writer".

Of course that means that the performance of one larger pool isn't available at any time, but your performance per smaller pool is always kept separate, so both pools' maximum performance is available at the time of v-motion.

SubnetMask

Contributor
Well, my main goal is stability - as I mentioned in my original post, this behavior was first noticed on the rare instances I had to shut everything down in a hurry and was trying to suspend some machines while shutting others down all at once, but then I had it happen when I was cloning a VM. I found that the way to test it was VMotioning, which yielded pretty repeatable results - basically, the same behavior I saw with the rapid shutdowns, which is the datastore 'going away'.

I don't really know WHY it's happening, but it seems related to the two zVols/Datastores on the single pool, because when I split it out, it didn't 'crash' on me once, and I was hitting it harder with that test than I am right now.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't really know WHY it's happening, but it seems related to the two zVols/Datastores on the single pool, because when I split it out, it didn't 'crash' on me once, and I was hitting it harder with that test than I am right now.
I suspect what is happening there is that VMware is seeing timeout limits being hit when the single pool gets too much IO at once, so with it split to 2 pools, you don't reach that same level which triggers the timeout, hence stability.

There may be some possibility to futz around with settings in VMware to extend that timeout or consider looking at your overall pool setup. You're probably better looking into adding RAM if you'd rather have a single pool and more robust performance.

SubnetMask

Contributor
Well, my main machine already has 256GB, the test one has 128GB, so they're not really short in the RAM department lol.

I think it's something in FreeNAS that's going sideways, because once it happens, the only way to get the datastores back is to reboot everything - they never 'just return', and just rebooting only the VMWare hosts doesn't get them back - FreeNAS must be rebooted as well.

Seeing as this issue doesn't SEEM to be occurring when each zVol has its own pool, I think I'm going to end up splitting them out as a 'fix', as I don't think I having the larger pool will give me much benefit I/O-wise, since I don't typically hit it all that hard, but I'm curious if others have seen this sort of behavior, and if maybe it could be some sort of bug that may have been fixed at some later date.

sretalla