Migrating to TrueNAS from FreeNAS11 - two issues/questions

SubnetMask

Contributor
I've been running on FreeNAS 11.1 U7 and have been quite gun shy about upgrading considering the issues I had with 11.2 or 11.3 (I don't recall which) where FreeNAS was just rebooting randomly and absolutely nothing would point to a cause. Installing 11.1 from scratch and importing the pools completely resolved the issue....

Anyway, I'm looking to finally go to TrueNAS 12, but I've got a question and an issue. The question just to be clear, is with regards to pools, zvols, etc. In FreeNAS11, you created your volume (pool), then on top of that you had to create a dataset, then on top of that you could create zvols. In TrueNAS, it seems you can create the pool, and right from there, create zvols. This *SEEMS* correct and more efficient. Just looking for confirmation.

As for the issue.... I was creating zvols and iSCSI targets/extents/etc on a second machine running TrueNAS with the storage I'd need to do a migration (I'll need to destroy my original pools and recreate them to migrate to native encryption anyway), and I hit an issue that 'seems' to be a big deal. I have several targets used by VMWare, two are only 3TB (I provisioned 2.75TB targets on the 'temp' TrueNAS machine) and one that is about 24TB on the source FreeNAS, which I created as 18.5TiB on the destination temp TrueNAS machine. The problem came when I went to create the datastore in VMWare. When going through the defaults, creating a VMFS6 datastore, it ended up failing with 'An error occurred during host configuration. Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to create Filesystem, please see VMkernel log for more details: Failed to create VMFS on device naa.blahblahblah'. I was able to create a VMFS5 datastore without issue without changing anything on the TrueNAS side. The 2.75 TiB volumes also provisioned just fine in VMWare as VMFS6 volumes. The problem only came up with the very large volume. One 'fix' said to chech 'Disable Physical Block Size Reporting', but that didn't seem to do anything. The only 'fix' I found to allow a VMFS6 volume to be created was to create the zvol with 16k block size, but the problem is that came with a warning from TrueNAS: 'Recommended block size based on pool topology: 128K. A smaller block size can reduce sequential I/O performance and space efficiency'. That seems no bueno. Considering that I had no issues creating a 24TB zvol on FreeNAS 11 and creating a VMFS6 datastore on it without any warnings or errors, the fact that trying to do the same thing on TrueNAS and it failing seems to be a pretty big regression... Unless I'm missing something?

SubnetMask

Contributor
I have another strange thing that I just noticed with TrueNAS - on my temp TrueNAS machine, when I created the large pool and zvol, I created the zvol as 18.5TiB on the 24.96TiB pool with 16KiB block size. I just noticed that the zvol shows up in the UI as 24.96TiB and the pool shows 97% used, but when I edit the zvol, it very clearly shows that it's set to 18.50 TiB, and that's also how it shows up under iSCSI extents. Any ideas why it's showing up as using the entire pool in the UI?

SubnetMask

Contributor
No one has any thoughts?