VMWare ESXi not automounting ISCSI datastore

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickH

Explorer
I have 2 FreeNAS servers running 9.3-STABLE hosting VMFS datastores over ISCSI to several ESXi hosts using CHAP for authentication

This has been set up for a few months now (initially on FreeNAS 9.2). Since my upgrade to version 9.3 the VMWare datastores are being incorrectly recognized as SSD and are not automatically mounting whenever I put one of my ESXi hosts into maintenance mode or reboot them.

Looking at my iscsi storage adapters, I can see that the virtual discs are being detected and mounted but the datastores themselves are not being mounted automatically.

I can run 'esxcfg-volume -l' and see the datastores and then run 'esxcfg-volume -m <datastore name>' to manually mount them. Once they've been mounted, everything works perfectly.

I need to figure out how to get these datastores to automatically mount, as I'm concerned about automated recovery in the event of a power outage or similar scenarios... Does anyone have any suggestions?

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Because of complete iSCSI target replacement in FreeNAS 9.3 LUNs has changed some of their properties. My guess is that VMWare still remember the old properties, that somehow cause results you see. May be hypervisors thinks those LUNs are snapshots, or something alike. I am not VMware expert and don't know how to fix that on VMware side, so I would possibly try to create new LUNs/datasets on the same machines, migrate VMs to them and then destroy the old ones.

RickH

Explorer
Well it took 3 days, but I managed to move everything to other storage so I could blow out the original datastores and recreate new ones. Everything is working as expected now. I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.