VMware doesn't mount iSCSI targets on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanPractichem

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS 9.3 stable on a supermicro server.

I have 3 vmware datastores, which are mounted over iSCSI. However, each time the esxi hosts get rebooted they think that the datastores are snapshots and refuse to automatically mount them. Each ESXi host has a direct connection on a /30 subnet to the FreeNAS machine. There are 6 targets and extents each connecting a datastore to an ESXi host.

I read somewhere that if two ESXi machines mount the same datastores, but find that they have different LUN id's, ESXi will assume that they are snapshots and the only way you can mount them on 2 hosts is through force mounting.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? Let me know if you need any more details.

IanPractichem

Dabbler
I tried that, but the command that checks to see if esxi thinks any of the datastores are snapshots returned nothing. Seems like something else is the issue here. I may just need to re-signature all the datastores.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know if you will have to resignature the disks or not. I will tell you I've come across this issue twice with other users. Both times they contact VMWare and VMWare support had them run a few CLI commands on the ESXi host and they were able to get it fixed. I'm not sure if you've fixed the issue or not, but if you do I would appreciate it if you could provide the commands for future reader's benefit.

IanPractichem

Dabbler
I have no support from VMware. Do you know of anyone else who has been through this who might be able to share the commands?

Status
Not open for further replies.