Iscsi targets + vmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhitt

Dabbler
So im building out some iscsi targets for a 3 node vmware cluster.

Right now im attaching 1 dev extent per target as i remember reading that freenas had issues handeling multiple luns per target. and this brings up two questions.

Is there a multiple LUN per target issue? Also on this note is it prefferable to have several small luns with fewer VM's on a target, etc? my assumption is yes, and i know this question will result in the answer of it depends. Performance is key in my scernaio, i dot have alot of heavy disk io issues (its a lab) but i noticed that when i was running one large lun on one target things seemed to slow down considerably. (FYI im only running 1 gig E connection for my Vmware Iscsi on its own network separate from my LAN)

Also i noticed that in order for Vmware hosts to see the LUN i had to stop the iscsi service and restart. Is this a bug? I foresee this being an issue when part of my lab is in a more production role?

thanks

Jason

praecorloth

Contributor
So im building out some iscsi targets for a 3 node vmware cluster.

Also on this note is it prefferable to have several small luns with fewer VM's on a target, etc? my assumption is yes, and i know this question will result in the answer of it depends. Performance is key in my scernaio, i dot have alot of heavy disk io issues (its a lab) but i noticed that when i was running one large lun on one target things seemed to slow down considerably. (FYI im only running 1 gig E connection for my Vmware Iscsi on its own network separate from my LAN)

I would imagine that at a certain size you would run in to a bottleneck at the drive level, but I'd think you would hit a bottleneck at the network connection first. For that you can always do jumbo frames or link aggregation. I'd say you could also do a dedicated iSCSI network, but hopefully you're doing that at this point anyways.

Also i noticed that in order for Vmware hosts to see the LUN i had to stop the iscsi service and restart. Is this a bug? I foresee this being an issue when part of my lab is in a more production role?

I have had to do this once out of several reboots/shutdowns of my FreeNAS box. For some reason it was having trouble starting the iSCSI target and so it was failing silently on start up. Only caught it when I had the system logs displayed in the footer. A reboot didn't fix it. I had to stop and start the iSCSI service and then life was good. So I think it is a bug. But it's going to be a fun one to track down as it obviously doesn't get triggered on every reboot or shutdown. Aside from that one time, I have rebooted and shutdown the system and as long as I give the FreeNAS box ample time to start up before the ESXi box, it has no trouble seeing the iSCSI target on boot and autostarting VMs works like a charm.

jwhitt

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply however i reread my post and the issue that i am seeing is a bit different than the one you are describing.

I have had to do this once out of several reboots/shutdowns of my FreeNAS box. For some reason it was having trouble starting the iSCSI target and so it was failing silently on start up. Only caught it when I had the system logs displayed in the footer. A reboot didn't fix it. I had to stop and start the iSCSI service and then life was good. So I think it is a bug. But it's going to be a fun one to track down as it obviously doesn't get triggered on every reboot or shutdown. Aside from that one time, I have rebooted and shutdown the system and as long as I give the FreeNAS box ample time to start up before the ESXi box, it has no trouble seeing the iSCSI target on boot and autostarting VMs works like a charm.

What i have happening is the freenas system is compleatly up and services are running. However when i create a new lun and attach it to a new target, then refresh both teh HBA and rescan for new file systems the new lun wont show up untill i stop the iscsi service and start it manually through the web GUI.

Jason

aviegas

Dabbler
Interesting, I'm having the same problem and it happens both with 8.0 release and 8.0.1-BETA4.

It does not matter what happens to VMWare ESXi (in my case 4.1U1). It can start before and after FreeNAS. There is no way I can get the iSCSI target to become visible to ESXi unless I stop and restart the iSCSI service (istgt). I'm using a UFS mirror (2x 1.5TB).

It's really strange.

aviegas

Dabbler
There is no "change" involved in this case, but merely the fact that the service was started before the disks to be exported by istgt were mounted. As a result the mount point gets exported. Starting istgt after all required mount points are properly mounted fix this particular issue.

Milkwerm

Dabbler
does anyone know what the issue is that prevents multiple LUNs per iSCSI target and if it is going to be addressed at any stage?

jwhitt

Dabbler
Also this issue seems like it will cause issues if i have some Luns with running VM's and would like to add another?

I do not recall this issue with 7.x releases

majorindian

Cadet
FreeNAS sucks

What i have seen is if you have two or more ESX Host and you try to share a iscsi Target between two or more host. Then SORRY. FreeNAS doesn't work. You can add target on both Host but after sometime it will become Inactive and then you have to reboot each and every box. What a beautiful software. Shame on developers. New release also behave same way . No improvement at all.

I have almost read most of the thread and not able to see any solution related to this problem. So the conclusion i can was. THIS SOFTWARE (FreeNAS SUCKS)

majorindian

Cadet
I know ESX better than you. So don't teach me please. If you have successfully done what i am looking with FreeNAS just say. Don't give advice you punk.

FreeNAS is good or Nothing. You simply cannot use same Target between two ESXi HOst . PERIOD. If you know how you can do that with target dying after few minutes/hours let us know.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
who pissed in your cheerios, bro?

how do you know you know ESX better than me? huh?

you CAN use the same target, its called Virtual Center....

I suggest you take your attitude elsewhere and stop calling people you dont know names you dont understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.