iSCSI - Multiple ESXi hosts to same LUN / Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRA

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am trying to setup a shared storage (Datastore) for my Esxi hosts via iSCSI as it supports VAAI but having issues.

I have a storage array which is connected to a Proliant server using HBA. FreeNAS is installed on Proliant server and ZFS is configured on storage array. I created an iSCSI LUN to share a zvol to my ESXi hosts. I can connect first ESXi host fine to the LUN and format it to VMFS datastore. When I try to connect to the second Esxi host it can see the disk but cannot access the datastore on it or create one.
Upon reading i found that earlier FreeNAS supported Multiple connections per target for iSCSI and multiple sessions per target too.
Is there any way to share an zvol over iSCSI to multiple ESXi hosts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Which FreeNAS build version (from System -> Information)?

SRA

Dabbler
Which FreeNAS build version (from System -> Information)?

I just updated to latest FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583) earlier i was on FreeNAS-9.10-U2. I haven't tried on the latest version.

D

dlavigne

This might be a bug. Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org that includes your system debug (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) and post the issue number here. Note that the report will be hidden to others until the dev has a chance to review your debug.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi all,

I am trying to setup a shared storage (Datastore) for my Esxi hosts via iSCSI as it supports VAAI but having issues.

I have a storage array which is connected to a Proliant server using HBA. FreeNAS is installed on Proliant server and ZFS is configured on storage array. I created an iSCSI LUN to share a zvol to my ESXi hosts. I can connect first ESXi host fine to the LUN and format it to VMFS datastore. When I try to connect to the second Esxi host it can see the disk but cannot access the datastore on it or create one.
Upon reading i found that earlier FreeNAS supported Multiple connections per target for iSCSI and multiple sessions per target too.
Is there any way to share an zvol over iSCSI to multiple ESXi hosts?

Thanks
You can't have multiple hosts access the same zvol. That would be like hooking a single HDD up to multiple hosts with a Sata connection. Unless VMware does something really fancy you can't do this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

diehard

Contributor
You can't have multiple hosts access the same zvol. That would be like hooking a single HDD up to multiple hosts with a Sata connection. Unless VMware does something really fancy you can't do this.

iSCSI (and really all block storage) would be nearly useless in the Enterprise on VMware if this were true. VMFS is a clustered FS and was designed for this.

What version of ESXi are using and what version of VMFS is the datastore?

The hosts must be a part of the same cluster, and you need to be using vCenter.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
iSCSI (and really all block storage) would be nearly useless in the Enterprise on VMware if this were true. VMFS is a clustered FS and was designed for this.

What version of ESXi are using and what version of VMFS is the datastore?

The hosts must be a part of the same cluster, and you need to be using vCenter.
Sounds good! Didn't know it has a clustered filesystem.

SRA

Dabbler
apologies for late reply. Seems like some issue with the combination of Freenas 9.10 U2 and ESXi 6.0
I updated Freenas to latest 11-RELEASE build and ESXi hosts to 6.5 and things have started working.

Thanks for the help guys.

SmoothRunnings

Dabbler
apologies for late reply. Seems like some issue with the combination of Freenas 9.10 U2 and ESXi 6.0
I updated Freenas to latest 11-RELEASE build and ESXi hosts to 6.5 and things have started working.

Thanks for the help guys.

Did you get your ESXi hosts working off one volume?
I am having problems with ESXi 6.7, could you share your setup with me?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.