iscsi lun

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwish

Cadet
Hello all

I have instaled the last release of freeNAS ( FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r11950) ).

I am in the fase of testing iscsi. I can assigned a lun to a esxi server correctaly.

My problem is if I have a lun to one esxi or a windows by iscsi, and want to add a new lun to the same server ( this happens in windows and esxi ), I have to restart the iscsi service in the freenas to see the new iscsi lun in client ( esxi or windows ).

This is admissible in a production enviorement. All the clients that have shares iscsi will lose they connectivity.

Is this the expect beavior of the freeNAS ?... I'am doing anything rong ?

Thanks in advanced

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Generally speaking, there's nothing wrong. Killing and restarting a service is one of the safer ways to make sure the right things happen. The ESXi iSCSI initiator will log a warning and pause for a second or so before logging back into the service and going on their happy way.

The istgt implementation has the option to handle SIGHUP, but at least at the moment, FreeNAS doesn't support that.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
8.2.0 is not the last release.

The istgt in 8.2/8.3 supports iscsi reload, as long as you configure and enable LUC in iSCSI Global Configuration screen (you need to enable it, then manually stop/start iscsi once or reboot freenas)

nightwish

Cadet
Generally speaking, there's nothing wrong. Killing and restarting a service is one of the safer ways to make sure the right things happen. The ESXi iSCSI initiator will log a warning and pause for a second or so before logging back into the service and going on their happy way.

The istgt implementation has the option to handle SIGHUP, but at least at the moment, FreeNAS doesn't support that.

Hi jgreco

ok, so this is standard way of assigne new iscsi lun's to host that already have luns.

So the freeNAS is not a option to a production envirement that needs hightavailability to iSCSI.

Regards.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Of course it is. Any real production environment should be designed to handle momentary faults.

nightwish

Cadet
8.2.0 is not the last release.

The istgt in 8.2/8.3 supports iscsi reload, as long as you configure and enable LUC in iSCSI Global Configuration screen (you need to enable it, then manually stop/start iscsi once or reboot freenas)

Hi William

I have enabled the LUC:

Enable LUC -> ok

Controller IP address -> 127.0.0.1

Controller TCP port -> 3261

Controller Authorized Network -> 127.0.0.0/8
Nota: default values

But if I add a new iscsi lun to a windows machine or esxi, I still have to restart iSCSI service in the freeNAS to reflet the configuracions. This is a big issue.

Also tested openindia and I do not have this problem.

I am trying to understand if is this the expected behavior for the freNAS.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.